Roxana S. Dronca MDChair, Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic Florida, Jacksonville, Florida
Dr. Dronca is an Associate Professor of Oncology, Chair of the Mayo Clinic Division of Hematology/Oncology, and a Consultant in the Division of Hematology/Oncology. Her research interests are in the field of tumor immunology, malignant melanoma, and genitourinary malignancies. Her goal is to understand the interaction between the immune system and cancer, study the dynamics and mechanisms of systemic immune regulation patients with advanced malignancies, and develop innovative approaches to cancer therapy utilizing chemotherapy and immunotherapy agents administered in an individualized fashion. Dr. Dronca has received federal funding in support of her research for identifying biomarkers of response to novel immune checkpoint inhibitors, in collaboration with Dr. Haidong Dong.
Dr. Dronca also currently serves as the Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Program Director, is an active member in the Florida Executive Operations Team, and the Mayo Clinic Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Education and Honors
Dr. Dronca completed medical school at Iuliu Hatieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy. Her Internal Medicine residency was completed at the William Beaumont Hospital where she was promoted to the Chief Resident. Her fellowship in Hematology/ Oncology was completed at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science (Rochester, Minnesota), where she received excellence awards throughout her training. Upon graduation, Dr. Dronca has been awarded the prestigious Mayo Foundation Scholarship award, which has allowed her to continue her training in tumor immunology. She has also been awarded a KL-2 Mentored Career Development award through the Mayo Clinic Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences. In addition, Dr. Dronca is an active teaching faculty in the Mayo Medical School and Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education and she has received numerous teaching awards. Dr. Dronca has authored over 55 peer-reviewed manuscripts, in addition to book chapters, and editorials.
DisclosuresDr. Dronca has no relevant disclosures.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- 2018 Top Stories in Oncology: PD-1 Blockade With Cemiplimab for Advanced Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Skin
- ESMO 2018: Recommendations From Dr. Roxana Dronca
- Encorafenib Plus Binimetinib vs Vemurafenib or Encorafenib in Patients With BRAF-Mutant Melanoma
- 2017 Top Stories in Oncology: Melanoma Adjuvant Therapy in the Modern Era
- Biomarkers for PD-1 and Immunotherapy Response
- Evidence-Based Use of PD-1 Therapies in Melanoma
- ESMO 2017: Recommendations From Dr. Roxana Dronca
- Effectiveness of Immunotherapy in Advanced Melanoma: A Review of Trials at ASCO 2017
- Potential Practice Changers for Melanoma-Related Brain Mets From ASCO 2017
- ASCO 2017: Abstract Recommendations From Dr. Roxana Dronca—Skin Cancer