David Rakel MD, FAAFPProfessor and Chair, Department of Family & Community Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM
Dr. Rakel started his career near the Teton Mountains in Driggs, Idaho, where he was in rural private practice for 5 years before completing a 2-year residential fellowship in integrative medicine at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center. He was the founder and Director of the University of Wisconsin Integrative Medicine Program and Professor in the Department on Family Medicine at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health. He is now the Professor and Chair of the Department of Family & Community Medicine at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Dr. Rakel is editor of the text Integrative Medicine, now in its 4th edition, and he is co-editor of the Textbook of Family Medicine, 8th and 9th editions. He is Editor-in-Chief of PracticeUpdate.com for Primary Care. He has received NIH funding to study the placebo effect and to incorporate healing modalities into medical school curricula. He has been awarded a number of teaching awards including the Baldwin E. Lloyd Clinical Teacher Award, the UW Department of Family Medicine Faculty Excellence Award, the Marc Hansen Lecture Award, the Resident Teacher-of-the-Year Award, the New Mexico Academy of Family Physician’s President Award, and the Leonard Tow Award for Compassionate Care. He has also been accepted into the Gold Humanism Honor Society.
Dr. Rakel has nothing to disclose.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Anti‐Inflammatory Effects of a Vegan Diet vs the AHA-Recommended Diet
- Antibiotic and Acid-Suppression Medications During Early Childhood Are Associated With Obesity
- Infant Colic Represents Gut Inflammation and Dysbiosis
- 2018 Top Stories in Primary Care: Nonnutritive Sweeteners
- AR101 Oral Immunotherapy for Peanut Allergy
- Higher Primary Care Physician Continuity Is Associated With Lower Costs and Hospitalizations
- Coenzyme Q10 Reduces Statin-Induced Myopathy
- Association of Frequency of Organic Food Consumption With Cancer Risk
- Fracture Prevention With Zoledronate in Older Women With Osteopenia
- Hypnosis for Pain Management in Patients With Chronic Nonspecific Low-Back Pain