David Rakel MD, FAAFPProfessor and Chair, Department of Family & Community Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM
Dr. Rakel started his career near the Teton Mountains in Driggs, Idaho, where he was in rural private practice for 5 years before completing a 2-year residential fellowship in integrative medicine at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center. He was the founder and Director of the University of Wisconsin Integrative Medicine Program and Professor in the Department on Family Medicine at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health. He is now the Professor and Chair of the Department of Family & Community Medicine at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Dr. Rakel is editor of the text Integrative Medicine, now in its 4th edition, and he is co-editor of the Textbook of Family Medicine, 8th and 9th editions. He is Editor-in-Chief of PracticeUpdate.com for Primary Care. He has received NIH funding to study the placebo effect and to incorporate healing modalities into medical school curricula. He has been awarded a number of teaching awards including the Baldwin E. Lloyd Clinical Teacher Award, the UW Department of Family Medicine Faculty Excellence Award, the Marc Hansen Lecture Award, the Resident Teacher-of-the-Year Award, the New Mexico Academy of Family Physician’s President Award, and the Leonard Tow Award for Compassionate Care. He has also been accepted into the Gold Humanism Honor Society.
Dr. Rakel has nothing to disclose.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Prucalopride in Gastroparesis
- Association of Methylation Status With Brain MRI Measures and Risk of Dementia
- Sugary Drink Consumption and Risk of Cancer
- Prevention of Heart Failure With the American Heart Association’s Life’s Simple 7
- Association of Weight-Loss Interventions With Changes in Biomarkers of NAFLD
- Trends in Characteristics, Mortality, and Other Outcomes of Patients With Newly Diagnosed Cirrhosis
- Associations Between Gabapentinoids and Injuries, Accidents, Mental Health, and Criminality
- Association of Exposure to Artificial Light at Night While Sleeping With Risk of Obesity in Women
- Intensive Glucose Control in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Treatment for Subclinical Hypothyroidism