David Rakel MD, FAAFPEsther Millard Endowed Professor, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine & Public Health; Chair, Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
Dr. Rakel was the founder and director of the University of Wisconsin Integrative Medicine Program where he was awarded tenure in the department of family medicine at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health in 2010. Dr. Rakel is co-editor of the Textbook of Family Medicine (8th and 9th eds), Editor of Integrative Medicine (1-5 eds), co-editor of Conn’s Current Therapy and editor-in-chief of Primary Care PracticeUpdate. He is author of a book on the power of the therapeutic relationship titled, The Compassionate Connection (WW. Norton Publishing). He has received NIH funding to study the ‘clinician effect’ and to incorporate healing modalities into medical school curricula.
He has been awarded a number of teaching awards including the Leonard Tow Faculty Compassion Award and has been elected to the Gold Humanism Medical Society. In 2016 Dr. Rakel moved to Albuquerque, where he was the Professor and Chair of the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine. In 2021 he returned to the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine & Public Health where he is the Esther Millard Endowed Professor and Chair of the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health.
Dr. Rakel has nothing to disclose.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Reduced Vitamin D Levels and Familial Combined Hyperlipidemia
- Secondary Stroke Prevention
- Difficulty Reducing Opioids Among Chronic Higher-Dose Users
- A Systematic Review of Sigmoid Diverticulitis
- Mindfulness Meditation Programs for Stress and Well-Being: A Meta-Analysis
- Nutritional Supplements for Pain Management—What’s Real, What’s Hype?Part 2
- Nutritional Supplements for Pain Management—What’s Real? What’s Hype?Part 1
- A Diet Low in FODMAPs Reduces Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Addictive Behaviors Related to Opioid Use for Chronic Pain
- AHA/ACC Guidelines for LDL Cholesterol Management