David Rakel MD, FAAFPProfessor and Chair, Department of Family & Community Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM
Dr. Rakel started his career near the Teton Mountains in Driggs, Idaho, where he was in rural private practice for 5 years before completing a 2-year residential fellowship in integrative medicine at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center. He was the founder and Director of the University of Wisconsin Integrative Medicine Program and Professor in the Department on Family Medicine at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health. He is now the Professor and Chair of the Department of Family & Community Medicine at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Dr. Rakel is editor of the text Integrative Medicine, now in its 4th edition, and he is co-editor of the Textbook of Family Medicine, 8th and 9th editions. He is Editor-in-Chief of PracticeUpdate.com for Primary Care. He has received NIH funding to study the placebo effect and to incorporate healing modalities into medical school curricula. He has been awarded a number of teaching awards including the Baldwin E. Lloyd Clinical Teacher Award, the UW Department of Family Medicine Faculty Excellence Award, the Marc Hansen Lecture Award, the Resident Teacher-of-the-Year Award, the New Mexico Academy of Family Physician’s President Award, and the Leonard Tow Award for Compassionate Care. He has also been accepted into the Gold Humanism Honor Society.
Dr. Rakel has nothing to disclose.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- 12-Months Later: Follow-Up of Yoga Intervention for Chronic Neck Pain
- Cuba’s Economic Crisis Yielded Reduced Diabetes, CVD, Death
- Association Between ω-3 Fatty Acids and Total and Cause-Specific Mortality
- ACP: PSA Screening’s Harms Outweigh Benefits
- Is There Clinical Utility for Epidural Corticosteroids in Sciatica?
- What Matters: Treating Esophageal Eosinophilia With a PPI
- Mediterranean Diet Protects Against Heart Disease
- No Reduction in Use of High-Risk NSAIDS
- Tympanic Membrane Now Keys Otitis Media Diagnosis
- High Levels of Calcium Intake Bad for Women's Hearts?