David Rakel MD, FAAFPProfessor and Chair, Department of Family & Community Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Dr. Rakel started his career near the Teton Mountains in Driggs, Idaho, where he was in rural private practice for 5 years before completing a 2-year residential fellowship in integrative medicine at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center. He was the founder and Director of the University of Wisconsin Integrative Medicine Program and a tenured Professor in the Department on Family Medicine at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health. He is now the Professor and Chair of the Department of Family & Community Medicine at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Dr. Rakel is editor of the text Integrative Medicine, now in its 5th edition, and he is co-editor of the Textbook of Family Medicine, 8th and 9th editions and is co-editor for Conn’s Current Therapy. He has received NIH funding to study the placebo effect and to incorporate healing modalities into medical school curricula. He has been awarded a number of teaching awards including the Baldwin E. Lloyd Clinical Teacher Award, the UW Department of Family Medicine Faculty Excellence Award, the Marc Hansen Lecture Award, the Resident Teacher-of-the-Year Award, the New Mexico Academy of Family Physician’s President Award, and the Leonard Tow Award for Compassionate Care. He has also been accepted into the Gold Humanism Honor Society.
Dr. Rakel has nothing to disclose.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Intake of Whole-Grain Foods and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Association of Plasma Biomarkers of Fruit and Vegetable Intake With Incident Type 2 Diabetes
- Healthy Lifestyle for Prevention of Premature Death Among Users and Nonusers of Common Preventive Medications
- Post–Intensive Care Syndrome and COVID-19
- Dietary Patterns and Subclinical Cardiac Injury
- Effect of Intensive Lifestyle Intervention on Body Weight and Glycemia in Early Type 2 Diabetes
- L-Thyroxine Therapy for Older Adults With Subclinical Hypothyroidism and Hypothyroid Symptoms
- Randomized Trial of Lactin-V to Prevent Recurrence of Bacterial Vaginosis
- Network Science Tools Identify Novel Diet Patterns in Prodromal Dementia
- Mild or Moderate COVID-19