David Rakel MD, FAAFPEsther Millard Endowed Professor, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine & Public Health; Chair, Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
Dave Rakel is Professor and Chair of the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health at the University of Wisconsin. He joined the faculty of the UW School of Medicine and Public Health in 2001 as an assistant professor of family medicine. During his time at UW–Madison he founded the Integrative Medicine Program (now known as the Integrative Health Program) and received the Gold Foundation’s Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award, the school’s highest honor for excellence and compassion in care. His team worked with more than 50 clinical systems within the Veterans Health Administration to implement changes to make care more personalized, proactive, and patient driven.
An author of both academic and popular writings, Rakel says one of his missions is to communicate medical information in a way that is accessible to people of all backgrounds. He has published 11 books, including the Textbook of Family Medicine, Current Therapy, and Integrative Medicine, as well as peer-reviewed research on the impact of measures such as mindfulness meditation and the power of the therapeutic encounter. He serves as editor-in-chief of Practice Update, a website devoted to commentaries on primary medical care research. His 2018 book The Compassionate Connection focuses on how relationship-building can influence health outcomes.
Rakel obtained his undergraduate degree from Colorado College and graduated from Baylor College of Medicine in 1991. After residency training in family medicine in Colorado, he worked in private practice in rural Idaho. His burgeoning interest in the relationships between health, the human experience, and the environment led to a fellowship in integrative medicine at the University of Arizona.
Dr. Rakel has nothing to disclose.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Association of the Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay and Mediterranean Diets With Alzheimer's Disease Pathology
- Cognitive Functional Therapy vs Usual Care for Chronic Disabling Low Back Pain
- Patient Satisfaction With Medical Care for Chronic Low Back Pain
- Fracture Risk Reduction With and Safety of Osteoporosis Treatment Compared With Placebo or an Active Comparator in Postmenopausal Women
- Clinical Effectiveness and Cost-Effectiveness of Supported Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Self-Help vs Supported Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Self-Help for Adults Experiencing Depression
- In-Basket Reduction: A Multiyear Pragmatic Approach to Lessen the Work Burden of Primary Care Physicians
- Association of Beverage Consumption With Mortality Among Adults With Type 2 Diabetes
- Association of Dietary Sugar Consumption With Health
- Combination Pharmacotherapy for the Treatment of Neuropathic Pain in Adults
- Comparison of Seven Popular Structured Dietary Programmes and the Risk of Mortality and Major Cardiovascular Events in Patients at Increased Cardiovascular Risk