David Rakel MD, FAAFPProfessor and Chair, Department of Family & Community Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Dr. Rakel started his career near the Teton Mountains in Driggs, Idaho, where he was in rural private practice for 5 years before completing a 2-year residential fellowship in integrative medicine at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center. He was the founder and Director of the University of Wisconsin Integrative Medicine Program and a tenured Professor in the Department on Family Medicine at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health. He is now the Professor and Chair of the Department of Family & Community Medicine at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Dr. Rakel is editor of the text Integrative Medicine, now in its 5th edition, and he is co-editor of the Textbook of Family Medicine, 8th and 9th editions and is co-editor for Conn’s Current Therapy. He has received NIH funding to study the placebo effect and to incorporate healing modalities into medical school curricula. He has been awarded a number of teaching awards including the Baldwin E. Lloyd Clinical Teacher Award, the UW Department of Family Medicine Faculty Excellence Award, the Marc Hansen Lecture Award, the Resident Teacher-of-the-Year Award, the New Mexico Academy of Family Physician’s President Award, and the Leonard Tow Award for Compassionate Care. He has also been accepted into the Gold Humanism Honor Society.
Dr. Rakel has nothing to disclose.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Higher Coffee Intake Is Associated With Lower Risk of Incident Heart Failure
- Red Yeast Rice for Hypercholesterolemia
- Diet and Acne
- Efficacy and Safety of Low and Very Low Carbohydrate Diets for Type 2 Diabetes Remission
- Gut Microbiota Composition in COVID-19 Patients
- Intestinal Microbiota Associated With Obesity, Lipid Metabolism, and Metabolic Health
- Racist Policies as a Root Cause of US Racial Health Inequities
- Risk of Cardiovascular Disease Incidence and Mortality in Vegetarians and Eaters of Fish, Poultry, and Meat
- Electronic Health Record Use in US and Non-US Healthcare
- 2020 Top Stories in Primary Care: Providing Healthcare via Telehealth