David Rakel MD, FAAFPProfessor and Chair, Department of Family & Community Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM
Dr. Rakel started his career near the Teton Mountains in Driggs, Idaho, where he was in rural private practice for 5 years before completing a 2-year residential fellowship in integrative medicine at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center. He was the founder and Director of the University of Wisconsin Integrative Medicine Program and Professor in the Department on Family Medicine at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health. He is now the Professor and Chair of the Department of Family & Community Medicine at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Dr. Rakel is editor of the text Integrative Medicine, now in its 4th edition, and he is co-editor of the Textbook of Family Medicine, 8th and 9th editions. He is Editor-in-Chief of PracticeUpdate.com for Primary Care. He has received NIH funding to study the placebo effect and to incorporate healing modalities into medical school curricula. He has been awarded a number of teaching awards including the Baldwin E. Lloyd Clinical Teacher Award, the UW Department of Family Medicine Faculty Excellence Award, the Marc Hansen Lecture Award, the Resident Teacher-of-the-Year Award, the New Mexico Academy of Family Physician’s President Award, and the Leonard Tow Award for Compassionate Care. He has also been accepted into the Gold Humanism Honor Society.
Dr. Rakel has nothing to disclose.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Randomized Trial of Lactin-V to Prevent Recurrence of Bacterial Vaginosis
- Network Science Tools Identify Novel Diet Patterns in Prodromal Dementia
- Mild or Moderate COVID-19
- Utility, Appropriateness, and Content of Electronic Consultations
- Clinical Characteristics of COVID-19 Patients With Digestive Symptoms in Hubei, China
- Physical Therapy vs Glucocorticoid Injection for Knee Osteoarthritis
- Paradigm Shift for Treatment of Infective Endocarditis
- Placebo Responses Among Men With Erectile Dysfunction Enrolled in PDE5 Inhibitor Trials
- Olive Oil Consumption and Cardiovascular Risk in US Adults
- Associations of Habitual Fish Oil Supplementation With Cardiovascular Outcomes and All Cause Mortality