Robert T. Brodell MD, FAADTenured Professor and Chair, Department of Pathology, and Past Founding Chair, Professor of Dermatology, Billy S. Guyton Distinguished Professor, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi; Instructor in Dermatology, Staff Physician, Sonny Montgomery Veterans Administration Hospital, Jackson, Mississippi.
After founding the Department of Dermatology at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in 2013, Robert T. Brodell is now tenured Professor and Chair of the Department of Pathology. In addition to his administrative responsibilities he sees patients 4 half days each week and handles his dermatopathology responsibilities. His research focuses on human papillomavirus and translational research—moving science to the treatment room. In addition to his involvement in teaching and learning in dermatology, he has a strong interest in the ethics of dermatology, tips and tricks in procedural dermatology, and access to care in rural America.
Dr. Brodell is a member of Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha Omega Alpha, the American Academy of Dermatology, the Noah Worcester Dermatological Society, the American Society of Dermatopathology, and the American Dermatological Association. He is a past president of the American Board of Dermatology and served on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Dermatology. He was honored to be a Master Teacher in his previous role at Northeastern Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) where he served as chairman of the Master Teacher Guild. Dr Brodell has served on the ACGME Dermatology Residency Review Committee and is currently the senior representative for the University of Mississippi to Clinical Faculty Academic Societies (CFAS) of the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).Dr Brodell served for 6 years as Secretary-Treasurer of the American Dermatological Association (ADA) and then president of the ADA. He is currently associate editor of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. A dedicated teacher, he has performed almost 2000 lectures in his career and is the recipient of the Thomas G. Pearson EdD memorial education award of the American Academy of Dermatology in 2018. He is also a dedicated volunteer for the American Cancer Society and a member of the Relay For Life Hall of Fame.
Tenured Professor and Chair, Department of Pathology, Past Founding Chair Department of Dermatology, and Billy S Guyton Distinguished Professor, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi; Instructor in Dermatology, Staff Physician, Sonny Montgomery Veterans Administration Hospital, Jackson, Mississippi.
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, MD
Resident, Washington University in St. Louis/Barnes Hospital Fellow, Washington University in St. Louis/Barnes Hospital
Dermatology and Dermatopathology
General dermatology, procedural dermatology, dermatopathology, warts.
Multi-Center Clinical Trials:Novartis - Principal Investigator
Corevitas psoriasis biologic registry
Pfizer – Educational Grant
Editorial Boards:Faculty advisor to Editorial Board of the American Medical Student Research Journal
Editor-in-Chief, Practice Update: Dermatology
Journal of the Mississippi State Medical Society
SKIN: The Journal of Cutaneous Medicine
Associate Editor, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology
Part-time employee at GV (Sonny) Montgomery VA hospital
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- 2023 Top Story in Dermatology: Chronic Use of Hydrochlorothiazide and Risk of Skin Cancer in Caucasian Adults
- Importance of Compassion in Healthcare
- Awareness of Obesity Among Patients With Psoriasis
- Expertise and Degree of Oversight at Medical Spas in the US
- Association Between Different Oral Corticosteroid Prescribing Patterns and Fracture Preventive Care Among Older Adults in the UK and Ontario
- Neighborhood-Level Socioeconomic Predictors of Melanoma Thickness, Ulceration, and Metastasis
- Characteristics and Pathogenesis of Chronic Actinic Dermatitis
- Gaps in Access to Biologics for Psoriasis Among the Working Poor
- A Comparison of Family Physician and Dermatologist Topical Corticosteroid Prescriptions
- Comparison of the Efficacy of Combined Silver Nitrate Coagulation and Shave Excision With Surgical Excision and Linear Closure in the Treatment of Pyogenic Granuloma