Satheesh Elangovan BDS, DSc, DMScProfessor, Department of Periodontics, The University of Iowa College of Dentistry, Iowa City, Iowa
Dr. Elangovan is a Professor in the Department of Periodontics at the University of Iowa College of Dentistry (UICOD), Iowa City, Iowa. He holds secondary appointments in the Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Pharmaceutical and Experimental Therapeutics at the University of Iowa.
After receiving his dental training from Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai, India, Dr. Elangovan completed Doctor of Science in Oral Biology at Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts and then received his combined Doctor of Medical Science in Oral Biology degree and Periodontology residency training at Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology and is a practicing periodontist at UICOD since 2011, providing the full spectrum of periodontal and implant procedures. He is a Fellow of the International College of Dentists (USA Section) and Faculty of Dental Trainers of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (UK). He also a duly admitted Member of the Faculty of Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (Glasgow, UK).
Dr. Elangovan has published widely and has presented at numerous national meetings in the areas of bone tissue engineering, clinical and health outcomes research and evidence-based dentistry research. He served as an Associate Editor for the Newman and Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology 13th edition textbook and is a co-editor for the first editions of Newman and Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology for the Dental Hygienists and Newman and Carranza’s Essentials of Clinical Periodontology textbooks.
Dr. Elangovan was an unpaid advisor for Touch Surgery in the past and received federal and foundation grants to support his research programs. He receive honorarium from Elsevier for his editorial activities.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Lifelong Learning Is Our Obligation to Our Patients
- Use Case for PracticeUpdate Clinical Dentistry Channel in Clinic
- A Deep Learning Model Based on Computer-Aided Diagnosis Can Reliably Assess Radiographic Bone Level and Assign Bone Loss Stage Using Periapical Radiographs
- Preprocedural Mouthrinses Are Highly Effective in Reducing the SARS-CoV-2 Viral Load in the Oral Cavity for Up to 45 Minutes
- 2021 Top Story in Clinical Dentistry: Oral Cavity is a Crucial Site for SARS-CoV-2 Infection
- Periodontitis Is Associated With a Higher Risk of Severe COVID-19 Complications
- Comparative Evaluation of Transcrestal and Lateral Sinus Floor Elevation in Sites With Residual Bone Height ≤6 mm
- Dental Education During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- 2020 Top Stories in Clinical Dentistry: Flossing Helps Maintain Better Oral Health in Older Adults
- Evidence-Based Recommendations for Flossing in Older Adults