Laurie C. Carter DDS, PhDProfessor Emeritus, Department of Oral Diagnostic Sciences of the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry, Richmond, Virginia
Laurie Carter received her DDS degree and Certificate of Proficiency in Oral Pathology from the State University of New York at Buffalo School of Dentistry. She also holds both MA and PhD degrees in Experimental Pathology from the University at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology and the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology (AAOMR).
Dr. Carter was on the faculty of the University of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine for 17 years. She is currently Professor Emeritus of the Department of Oral Diagnostic Sciences of the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry, where she served as Director of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology and Director of Advanced Dental Education for 19 years.
She has served as President of the AAOMR, on the ADA Council on Scientific Affairs and the ADA Commission for Continuing Education Provider Recognition, as well as an advisor to the latter two organizations. She is the recipient of the AAOMR Arthur H. Wuehrmann Prize for the best manuscript in radiology, and has delivered the H. Cline Fixott, Sr. Memorial Oration. She has received the VCU Women in Science, Dentistry and Medicine Professional Achievement Award for excellence in leadership, advocacy and mentoring. Dr. Carter is a Past-President of the Diagnostic Systems Group of the International Association for Dental Research where she developed a symposium entitled Saliva/Oral Fluid-Based Diagnostic Markers of Disease, which was published in Advances in Dental Research. She has over 40 publications in peer reviewed literature to her credit and has authored 5 book chapters.
Dr. Carter served as Consulting Editor for JADA Specialty Scan – Radiology for 7 years. She is lead Editorial Contributor for PracticeUpdate Clinical Dentistry, a joint project of the American Dental Association and Elsevier. Dr. Carter teaches a monthly radiation safety certification program in the state of Virginia and is currently employed as a free lance science writer.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Antibiotic Prophylaxis for Preventing Dry Socket and Surgical Site Infection After Lower Third Molar Extraction
- Accuracy of Chatbots in Citing Journal Articles
- Oral Manifestations of Celiac Disease
- Adjuvant Radiotherapy Mitigates the Impact of Perineural Invasion on Oncologic Outcomes in Patients With Early-Stage Oral Cavity Squamous Cell Carcinoma
- Tooth-Level Predictors of Tooth Loss and Exposed Bone After Radiation Therapy for Head and Neck Cancer
- Clinical Features and Overall Survival of Patients With Osteosarcoma of the Mandible
- Helmet Use Has a Significant Protective Effect Against Maxillofacial Injuries Due to Bicycle and Scooter Accidents
- Black Tongue Discoloration: Diagnosis and Treatment
- Insomnia Is Associated With Central Sensitization Symptoms in Patients With Painful Temporomandibular Disorders
- Oral Mucosal Manifestations in a Patient With Secondary Syphilis