Shyoko Honiden MD, MScAssociate Professor of Medicine; Director of Simulation for Internal Medicine; Director, Medical Intensive Care Unit, Internal Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut
Dr. Shyoko Honiden is a pulmonologist and critical care specialist practicing in New Haven, Connecticut. She is currently the director of the Medical Intensive Care Unit at Yale New Haven Hospital, and prior to taking on this position served as Program Director for the Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine fellowship program at the Yale School of Medicine. Her clinical focus is on the delivery of complex care in the ICU, particularly in the care of patients with ARDs, sepsis, and acute liver failure. Her clinical and research interests also include metabolic issues pertaining to hyperglycemia and nutritional support during critical illness.
Dr. Honiden has served in a variety of leadership roles in the realm of medical education. In addition to her experience as fellowship program director, she serves as the director for the Medial ICU Electives program for students and residents, and is involved in simulation and experiential curriculum development. She is an active participant in ICU related quality-improvement projects as well. As current medical ICU director, she has a deep interest in quality and safety, ensuring best practices are adhered to in the ICU, and participates in clinical research.
Dr. Honiden has a master’s degree from the Division of Health Services Research at Stanford University School of Medicine and earned her medical degree from Brown Medical School (the joint program between Dartmouth and Brown). She underwent residency training in internal medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York, where she also completed a fellowship in pulmonary and critical care medicine. She is a member of the Society of Critical Care Medicine, American Thoracic Society, American College of Chest Physicians, and the American Board of Internal Medicine. She is board-certified in internal medicine, pulmonary medicine, and critical care medicine.
Dr. Honiden reports no disclosures.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Systematic Review and Comparison of Publicly Available ICU Data Sets
- Effect of Using a Bougie vs Endotracheal Tube With a Stylet on Successful Intubation in Critically Ill Patients Undergoing Tracheal Intubation
- 2021 Top Story in Respiratory Medicine: Therapeutic Anticoagulation With Heparin in Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19
- The Epidemiology of Extremity Threat and Amputation Following Vasopressor-Dependent Sepsis
- COVID-19 Hospital Admissions and Deaths After Vaccinations in the Scotland Population
- Errors of Commission in Cardiac Arrest Care in the Intensive Care Unit
- Impact of Blood Product Transfusions on the Risk of ICU-Acquired Infections in Septic Shock
- Update on COPD in 2020
- High-Dimensional Characterization of Post-Acute Sequalae of COVID-19
- 2020 Top Stories in Respiratory Medicine: The DEXA-ARDS Trial