J. William McEvoy MB BCh BAO, MEd, MHS, FRCPIProfessor of Preventive Cardiology, National University of Ireland, Galway Campus; Medical and Research Director, National Institute for Prevention and Cardiovascular Health; Consultant Cardiologist, University College Hospital Galway, Saolta Healthcare Group, Galway, Ireland; ESC National Coordinator for CVD Prevention, Ireland; and Adjunct Faculty, Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland
J. William ("Bill") McEvoy is Professor of Preventive Cardiology at the National University of Ireland, Galway campus, and a Consultant Cardiologist at University College Hospital Galway, Ireland. He also serves as Medical and Research Director of the National Institute for Prevention and Cardiovascular Health. Prof. McEvoy is a 2004 first class honors graduate of UCC School of Medicine, Cork, Ireland. He undertook senior house officer and cardiology registrar training at the Mater University Hospital in Dublin, Ireland. In 2008, he joined the Osler Medical House staff at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. After internal medicine residency, he subsequently completed cardiology fellowship at Hopkins including advanced training in cardiac prevention, cardiac imaging, and cardiovascular epidemiology. Prior to returning to Ireland in 2018, Prof. McEvoy was an Assistant Professor on the cardiology faculty at Johns Hopkins for 3 years, with clinical roles in the cardiac intensive care unit and in the Ciccarone Primary and Secondary Cardiovascular Prevention Center. He maintains an adjunct appointment at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Prof. McEvoy’s research focuses on testing novel biomarkers of risk and comparative effectiveness research; with an emphasis on hypertension and atherosclerosis. His research has resulted in numerous peer-reviewed publications, grants and awards. Click on PubMed for a full list of peer-reviewed indexed publications. In 2018 he joined the writing committee for the 2019 AHA/ACC primary CVD prevention guideline. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland and has a clinical interest in the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease, in both critical care and outpatient settings.
DisclosuresDr. McEvoy reports no disclosures.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Ultrasound Renal Denervation for Hypertension Resistant to a Triple Medication Pill
- Pharmacological BP Lowering for Primary and Secondary Prevention of CVD Across Different BP Levels
- ACC 2021: Abstract Recommendations From Dr. Bill McEvoy
- Cost-Effectiveness of Hypertension Treatment by Pharmacists in Black Barbershops
- Local Passive Heat for the Treatment of Hypertension in Autonomic Failure
- Testing for Primary Aldosteronism and Mineralocorticoid Receptor Antagonist Use Among US Veterans
- Reliability of Office, Home, and Ambulatory BP Measurements and Correlation With Left Ventricular Mass
- Unconventional Natural Gas Development and Hospitalization for Heart Failure in Pennsylvania
- 2020 Top Stories in Cardiology: The HYGIA Trial and the Potential Dark Side of Clinical Research
- Prevention of Heart Failure Events With Intensive vs Standard Blood Pressure Lowering Across the Spectrum of Kidney Function and Albuminuria