J. William McEvoy MB BCh BAO, MEd, MHS, FRCPIProfessor of Preventive Cardiology, National University of Ireland, Galway Campus; Medical and Research Director, National Institute for Prevention and Cardiovascular Health; Consultant Cardiologist, University College Hospital Galway, Saolta Healthcare Group, Galway, Ireland; ESC National Coordinator for CVD Prevention, Ireland; and Adjunct Faculty, Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland
J. William ("Bill") McEvoy is Professor of Preventive Cardiology at the National University of Ireland, Galway campus, and a Consultant Cardiologist at University College Hospital Galway, Ireland. He also serves as Medical and Research Director of the National Institute for Prevention and Cardiovascular Health. Prof. McEvoy is a 2004 first class honors graduate of UCC School of Medicine, Cork, Ireland. He undertook senior house officer and cardiology registrar training at the Mater University Hospital in Dublin, Ireland. In 2008, he joined the Osler Medical House staff at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. After internal medicine residency, he subsequently completed cardiology fellowship at Hopkins including advanced training in cardiac prevention, cardiac imaging, and cardiovascular epidemiology. Prior to returning to Ireland in 2018, Prof. McEvoy was an Assistant Professor on the cardiology faculty at Johns Hopkins for 3 years, with clinical roles in the cardiac intensive care unit and in the Ciccarone Primary and Secondary Cardiovascular Prevention Center. He maintains an adjunct appointment at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Prof. McEvoy’s research focuses on testing novel biomarkers of risk and comparative effectiveness research; with an emphasis on hypertension and atherosclerosis. His research has resulted in numerous peer-reviewed publications, grants and awards. Click on PubMed for a full list of peer-reviewed indexed publications. In 2018 he joined the writing committee for the 2019 AHA/ACC primary CVD prevention guideline. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland and has a clinical interest in the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease, in both critical care and outpatient settings.
DisclosuresDr. McEvoy reports no disclosures.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Effects of Blood Pressure According to Age on ESRD Development in Patients With Diabetes
- ACC 2022: Recommendations From Dr. J. William McEvoy
- Time in Target Range for Systolic BP Improves Cardiovascular Outcomes in Patients With HFpEF
- Effects of Regular Acetaminophen Dosing on BP in People With Hypertension
- 2021 Top Story in Cardiology: Salt in Hypertension—Recursive Themes in Research
- Reducing Sodium and Increasing Potassium Intake May Have CV Benefit
- Adding a New Medication vs Maximizing Dose to Intensify HTN Treatment in Older Adults
- On-Treatment Blood Pressure and Cardiovascular Outcomes in Adults With Hypertension and Left Ventricular Hypertrophy
- ESC 2021: Recommendations From Dr. William McEvoy
- Effects of Sleep Restriction on Blood Pressure