Alexander C. J. van Akkooi MD, PhDMelanoma and Soft Tissue Sarcoma Surgeon, Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dr. Alexander van Akkooi is a board-certified surgical oncologist specializing in melanoma and sarcoma and practicing at the Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek (NCI-AVL) in Amsterdam. Dr van Akkooi is the current chairman of the EORTC (European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer) Melanoma Group. He is the head of the NCI-AVL Skin Cancer and Melanoma Unit. Dr van Akkooi has published over 150 peer-reviewed papers in high-impact journals, including NEJM, Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Cell, Nature Medicine, among others, and has presented at numerous international meetings. He is a member of the European Society for Medical Oncology, Society for Melanoma Research, and American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. van Akkooi was awarded his medical degree from Erasmus University in Rotterdam. He was a resident in general surgery at Maasstad Ziekenhuis in Rotterdam, and underwent residency training in surgical oncology at NCI-AVL and Erasmus MC Cancer Institute. His PhD was awarded cum laude from Erasmus University.
Dr. van Akkooi is on the Advisory Board of & has received Consultancy Honoraria from Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Novartis, MSD-Merck, Merck-Pfizer, Sanofi, 4SC. He also reports Research Grants from Amgen, Novartis, Merck-Pfizer which were all paid to NCI-AVL.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Prognostic Variables in Stage III Melanoma
- ESMO 2018: Localizing Pathologic Response After Neoadjuvant Immunotherapy for Stage III Melanoma
- ESMO 2018: T-VEC in Early Metastatic Melanoma
- Adjuvant Therapy for Resected Stage III Melanoma
- ASCO 2018: A Review of Current and Upcoming Data on Neoadjuvant Immunotherapy for Melanoma
- ASCO 2018: Implications for the Clinician of the New AJCC Staging System for Melanoma
- Reducing the Toxicity of Neoadjuvant Therapy for Melanoma
- Melanoma Surgery in the Immune Therapy Era