Alexander C. J. van Akkooi MD, PhDChair of Melanoma Surgical Oncology, Melanoma Institute Australia, Associate Professor of Melanoma Surgical Oncology, Melanoma Institute Australia, The University of Sydney, Sydney, AU
Dr. Alexander van Akkooi is a board-certified surgical oncologist specializing in melanoma and sarcoma and practicing at the Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek (NCI-AVL) in Amsterdam. Dr. van Akkooi is the current chairman of the EORTC (European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer) Melanoma Group. He is the head of the NCI-AVL Skin Cancer and Melanoma Unit. Dr. van Akkooi has published over 150 peer-reviewed papers in high-impact journals, including NEJM, Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Cell, Nature Medicine, among others, and has presented at numerous international meetings. He is a member of the European Society for Medical Oncology, Society for Melanoma Research, and American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. van Akkooi was awarded his medical degree from Erasmus University in Rotterdam. He was a resident in general surgery at Maasstad Ziekenhuis in Rotterdam, and underwent residency training in surgical oncology at NCI-AVL and Erasmus MC Cancer Institute. His PhD was awarded cum laude from Erasmus University.
Dr. van Akkooi is on the Advisory Board of and has received Consultancy Honoraria from Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Novartis, MSD-Merck, Merck-Pfizer, Sanofi, 4SC. He also reports Research Grants from Amgen, Novartis, Merck-Pfizer, which were all paid to NCI-AVL.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- ESMO 2020: Recommendations From Dr. Alex van Akkooi for Melanoma
- 5-Year Analysis of Adjuvant Dabrafenib/Trametinib in Stage III Melanoma
- Design and Testing of a Custom Melanoma NGS Panel for Analysis of ctDNA
- Prognostic Gene-Expression Profiling in Cutaneous Melanoma
- Frontline BRAF Testing–Guided Treatment for Advanced Melanoma in the Era of Immunotherapies
- Clinical and Prognostic Value of Tumor Volumetric Parameters in Melanoma Patients Undergoing 18F-FDG PET/CT
- Vitamin D Intake Is Associated With a Decreased Risk of ICI-Induced Colitis
- Surgery for Unresectable Melanoma in the Era of Novel Systemic Therapy
- Improved Risk Prediction Calculator for Sentinel Node Positivity in Melanoma
- ASCO: Response-Driven Surgery and Adjuvant Therapy After Neoadjuvant Immunotherapy for Stage III Melanoma