Prof. Dr. Alexander C. J. van Akkooi MD, PhDChair of Melanoma Surgical Oncology, Melanoma Institute Australia; Associate Professor of Melanoma Surgical Oncology, The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Prof. Dr. Alexander van Akkooi is a board-certified surgical oncologist specializing in cutaneous oncology (melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer, particularly Merkel Cell Carcinoma) at the Melanoma Institute Australia, University of Sydney and Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. He is the immediate past-chairman of the EORTC (European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer) Melanoma Group. Prof. Dr. van Akkooi has published over 225 peer-reviewed papers (H index 40) in high-impact journals, including NEJM, Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Cell, Nature Medicine, among others, and has presented at numerous international meetings. He is a member of the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO), Society for Melanoma Research (SMR), and American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO).
Prof. Dr. van Akkooi was awarded his medical degree from Erasmus University in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. He was a resident in general surgery at Maasstad Ziekenhuis in Rotterdam, and underwent residency training in surgical oncology at the Netherlands Cancer Institute in Amsterdam and Erasmus MC Cancer Institute in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. His PhD was awarded cum laude in 2011 from Erasmus University on the topic of "Sentinel Node Tumor Load Assessment in Melanoma: Dilemmas and Clinical Management."
Prof. Dr. van Akkooi is on the Advisory Board of and has received Consultancy Honoraria from Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, MSD-Merck, Merck-Pfizer, Neracare, Novartis, Pierre Fabre, Provectus, Sanofi, Sirius Medical, 4SC. He also reports Research Grants from Amgen and Merck-Pfizer, which were all paid to his institute.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Atezolizumab, Cobimetinib, and Vemurafenib in Patients With BRAF V600 Mutation and Brain Metastases
- Neoadjuvant and Adjuvant Therapy for Stage II and III Melanoma
- NIVO + RELA vs NIVO in Previously Untreated Advanced Melanoma
- Effect of the Time Interval Between Melanoma Diagnosis and SNB on the Size of Metastatic Tumour Deposits in Node-Positive Patients
- ASCO 2022: Abstract Recommendations From Dr. Alexander van Akkooi for Advanced Melanoma
- Effect of Time Interval Between Diagnostic Excision-Biopsy of a Primary Melanoma and SNB on Sentinel Node Positivity Rate and Survival Outcomes
- Adaptive Dosing of Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab in Advanced Melanoma
- Pembrolizumab vs Placebo as Adjuvant Therapy in Completely Resected Stage IIB or IIC Melanoma
- Ribociclib Plus Binimetinib for NRAS-Mutant Melanoma
- Limited Impact of COVID-19–Related Diagnostic Delay on Tumor Characteristics of Cutaneous Melanoma and SCC