Alexander CJ van Akkooi MD, PhDMelanoma and Soft Tissue Sarcoma Surgeon, Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dr. Alexander van Akkooi is a board-certified surgical oncologist specializing in melanoma and sarcoma and practicing at the Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek (NCI-AVL) in Amsterdam. Dr van Akkooi is the current chairman of the Dutch Melanoma Tumor Focus Group (TFG) and the current chairman of the EORTC (European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer) Melanoma Group. He is the head of the NCI-AVL Skin Cancer and Melanoma Unit. Dr van Akkooi has published over 100 peer-reviewed papers in high-impact journals, including NEJM, Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Cell, Nature Medicine, among others, and has presented at numerous international meetings. He is a member of the European Society for Medical Oncology, Society for Melanoma Research, and American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. van Akkooi was awarded his medical degree from Erasmus University in Rotterdam. He was a resident in general surgery at Maasstad Ziekenhuis in Rotterdam, and underwent residency training in surgical oncology at NCI-AVL and Erasmus MC Cancer Institute. His PhD was awarded cum laude from Erasmus University.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Dual Checkpoint Blockade in Advanced Melanoma
- Adjuvant Therapy for High-Risk Melanoma
- Neoadjuvant BRAF/MEK Inhibition for Regionally Advanced Melanoma
- Long-Term Outcomes With Dabrafenib Plus Trametinib in BRAF V600-Mutant Melanoma
- Overview of Melanoma Studies at ASCO
- Real-World Outcomes of Targeted Therapies and Immunotherapy for Metastatic Melanoma
- Practice-Changing Developments in Stage III Melanoma
- Prognostic Variables in Stage III Melanoma
- ESMO 2018: Localizing Pathologic Response After Neoadjuvant Immunotherapy for Stage III Melanoma
- ESMO 2018: T-VEC in Early Metastatic Melanoma