Alexander CJ van Akkooi MD, PhDMelanoma and Soft Tissue Sarcoma Surgeon, Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dr. Alexander van Akkooi is a board-certified surgical oncologist specializing in melanoma and sarcoma and practicing at the Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek (NCI-AVL) in Amsterdam. Dr van Akkooi is the current chairman of the EORTC (European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer) Melanoma Group. He is the head of the NCI-AVL Skin Cancer and Melanoma Unit. Dr van Akkooi has published over 150 peer-reviewed papers in high-impact journals, including NEJM, Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Cell, Nature Medicine, among others, and has presented at numerous international meetings. He is a member of the European Society for Medical Oncology, Society for Melanoma Research, and American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. van Akkooi was awarded his medical degree from Erasmus University in Rotterdam. He was a resident in general surgery at Maasstad Ziekenhuis in Rotterdam, and underwent residency training in surgical oncology at NCI-AVL and Erasmus MC Cancer Institute. His PhD was awarded cum laude from Erasmus University.
Dr. van Akkooi is on the Advisory Board of & has received Consultancy Honoraria from Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Novartis, MSD-Merck, Merck-Pfizer, Sanofi, 4SC. He also reports Research Grants from Amgen, Novartis, Merck-Pfizer which were all paid to NCI-AVL.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Melanoma in the COVID-19 Era: Adjuvant Therapy
- Melanoma in the COVID-19 Era: Locally Advanced Cancer
- Melanoma in the COVID-19 Era: Surgery for Early-Stage Cancer
- Nivolumab + Ipilimumab With and Without Local Therapy in Patients With Melanoma Brain Metastases
- Survival of Patients With Advanced Metastatic Melanoma
- Treatment of Merkel Cell Carcinoma
- Circulating Tumor Cells and Early Relapse in Node-Positive Melanoma
- Anti-TNF Treatment Is Associated With Decreased Survival in Steroid-Refractory, Ipilimumab- and Anti-PD-1-Treated Patients
- Classification for Prediction of Metastasis in Uveal Melanoma
- Comparative Effectiveness Between Pembrolizumab and Nivolumab in Patients With Metastatic Melanoma