Alexander C. J. van Akkooi MD, PhDChair of Melanoma Surgical Oncology, Melanoma Institute Australia, Associate Professor of Melanoma Surgical Oncology, Melanoma Institute Australia, The University of Sydney, Sydney, AU
Dr. Alexander van Akkooi is a board-certified surgical oncologist specializing in melanoma and sarcoma and practicing at the Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek (NCI-AVL) in Amsterdam. Dr. van Akkooi is the current chairman of the EORTC (European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer) Melanoma Group. He is the head of the NCI-AVL Skin Cancer and Melanoma Unit. Dr. van Akkooi has published over 150 peer-reviewed papers in high-impact journals, including NEJM, Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Cell, Nature Medicine, among others, and has presented at numerous international meetings. He is a member of the European Society for Medical Oncology, Society for Melanoma Research, and American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. van Akkooi was awarded his medical degree from Erasmus University in Rotterdam. He was a resident in general surgery at Maasstad Ziekenhuis in Rotterdam, and underwent residency training in surgical oncology at NCI-AVL and Erasmus MC Cancer Institute. His PhD was awarded cum laude from Erasmus University.
Dr. van Akkooi is on the Advisory Board of and has received Consultancy Honoraria from Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Novartis, MSD-Merck, Merck-Pfizer, Sanofi, 4SC. He also reports Research Grants from Amgen, Novartis, Merck-Pfizer, which were all paid to NCI-AVL.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Pembrolizumab as Adjuvant Treatment for High Risk Melanoma
- ESMO 2021: Recommendations From Dr. Alex van Akkooi for Melanoma
- Current Options for Managing In-Transit Metastases in Melanoma
- Pembrolizumab Plus Ipilimumab After Anti–PD-1/L1 Failure for Melanoma
- Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in Non-Ulcerated T1b Melanoma
- Crossover or Rechallenge With Pembrolizumab in Patients With Resected Melanoma
- Neoadjuvant and Adjuvant Nivolumab Plus Relatlimab for Resectable Stage III Melanoma
- ASCO 2021: Abstract Recommendations From Dr. Alex van Akkooi for Melanoma
- Early Discontinuation of PD-1 Blockade for Advanced Melanoma After a Complete or Partial Response
- AACR 2021: Addition of Ipilimumab to Adjuvant Nivolumab Did Not Improve Outcomes in Late-Stage Melanoma