Prof. Dr. Alexander C. J. van Akkooi MD, PhDChair of Melanoma Surgical Oncology, Melanoma Institute Australia; Associate Professor of Melanoma Surgical Oncology, The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Prof. Dr. Alexander van Akkooi is a board-certified surgical oncologist specializing in cutaneous oncology (melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer, particularly Merkel Cell Carcinoma) at the Melanoma Institute Australia, University of Sydney and Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. He is the immediate past-chairman of the EORTC (European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer) Melanoma Group. Prof. Dr. van Akkooi has published over 225 peer-reviewed papers (H index 40) in high-impact journals, including NEJM, Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Cell, Nature Medicine, among others, and has presented at numerous international meetings. He is a member of the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO), Society for Melanoma Research (SMR), and American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO).
Prof. Dr. van Akkooi was awarded his medical degree from Erasmus University in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. He was a resident in general surgery at Maasstad Ziekenhuis in Rotterdam, and underwent residency training in surgical oncology at the Netherlands Cancer Institute in Amsterdam and Erasmus MC Cancer Institute in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. His PhD was awarded cum laude in 2011 from Erasmus University on the topic of "Sentinel Node Tumor Load Assessment in Melanoma: Dilemmas and Clinical Management."
Prof. Dr. van Akkooi is on the Advisory Board of and has received Consultancy Honoraria from Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, MSD-Merck, Merck-Pfizer, Neracare, Novartis, Pierre Fabre, Provectus, Sanofi, Sirius Medical, 4SC. He also reports Research Grants from Amgen and Merck-Pfizer, which were all paid to his institute.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Management of Early Melanoma Recurrence Despite Adjuvant Anti–PD-1 Antibody Therapy
- Efficacy of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for In-Transit Melanoma
- ASCO 2020: Abstract Recommendations From Dr. Alex van Akkooi for Melanoma
- Melanoma in the COVID-19 Era: Adjuvant Therapy
- Melanoma in the COVID-19 Era: Locally Advanced Cancer
- Melanoma in the COVID-19 Era: Surgery for Early-Stage Cancer
- Nivolumab + Ipilimumab With and Without Local Therapy in Patients With Melanoma Brain Metastases
- Survival of Patients With Advanced Metastatic Melanoma
- Treatment of Merkel Cell Carcinoma
- Circulating Tumor Cells and Early Relapse in Node-Positive Melanoma