Alexander CJ van Akkooi MD, PhDMelanoma and Soft Tissue Sarcoma Surgeon, Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dr. Alexander van Akkooi is a board-certified surgical oncologist specializing in melanoma and sarcoma and practicing at the Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek (NCI-AVL) in Amsterdam. Dr van Akkooi is the current chairman of the Dutch Melanoma Tumor Focus Group (TFG) and the current chairman of the EORTC (European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer) Melanoma Group. He is the head of the NCI-AVL Skin Cancer and Melanoma Unit. Dr van Akkooi has published over 100 peer-reviewed papers in high-impact journals, including NEJM, Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Cell, Nature Medicine, among others, and has presented at numerous international meetings. He is a member of the European Society for Medical Oncology, Society for Melanoma Research, and American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. van Akkooi was awarded his medical degree from Erasmus University in Rotterdam. He was a resident in general surgery at Maasstad Ziekenhuis in Rotterdam, and underwent residency training in surgical oncology at NCI-AVL and Erasmus MC Cancer Institute. His PhD was awarded cum laude from Erasmus University.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Frontline BRAF Testing–Guided Treatment for Advanced Melanoma in the Era of Immunotherapies
- Prognostic Gene-Expression Profiling in Cutaneous Melanoma
- Clinical and Prognostic Value of Tumor Volumetric Parameters in Melanoma Patients Undergoing 18F-FDG PET/CT
- Vitamin D Intake Is Associated With a Decreased Risk of ICI-Induced Colitis
- Surgery for Unresectable Melanoma in the Era of Novel Systemic Therapy
- Improved Risk Prediction Calculator for Sentinel Node Positivity in Melanoma
- ASCO: Response-Driven Surgery and Adjuvant Therapy After Neoadjuvant Immunotherapy for Stage III Melanoma
- Management of Early Melanoma Recurrence Despite Adjuvant Anti–PD-1 Antibody Therapy
- Efficacy of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for In-Transit Melanoma
- ASCO 2020: Abstract Recommendations From Dr. Alex van Akkooi for Melanoma