Alexander C. J. van Akkooi MD, PhDChair of Melanoma Surgical Oncology, Melanoma Institute Australia, Associate Professor of Melanoma Surgical Oncology, Melanoma Institute Australia, The University of Sydney, Sydney, AU
Dr. Alexander van Akkooi is a board-certified surgical oncologist specializing in melanoma and sarcoma and practicing at the Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek (NCI-AVL) in Amsterdam. Dr. van Akkooi is the current chairman of the EORTC (European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer) Melanoma Group. He is the head of the NCI-AVL Skin Cancer and Melanoma Unit. Dr. van Akkooi has published over 150 peer-reviewed papers in high-impact journals, including NEJM, Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Cell, Nature Medicine, among others, and has presented at numerous international meetings. He is a member of the European Society for Medical Oncology, Society for Melanoma Research, and American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. van Akkooi was awarded his medical degree from Erasmus University in Rotterdam. He was a resident in general surgery at Maasstad Ziekenhuis in Rotterdam, and underwent residency training in surgical oncology at NCI-AVL and Erasmus MC Cancer Institute. His PhD was awarded cum laude from Erasmus University.
Dr. van Akkooi is on the Advisory Board of and has received Consultancy Honoraria from Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Novartis, MSD-Merck, Merck-Pfizer, Sanofi, 4SC. He also reports Research Grants from Amgen, Novartis, Merck-Pfizer, which were all paid to NCI-AVL.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Atezolizumab, Cobimetinib, and Vemurafenib in Patients With BRAF V600 Mutation and Brain Metastases
- Neoadjuvant and Adjuvant Therapy for Stage II and III Melanoma
- NIVO + RELA vs NIVO in Previously Untreated Advanced Melanoma
- Effect of the Time Interval Between Melanoma Diagnosis and SNB on the Size of Metastatic Tumour Deposits in Node-Positive Patients
- ASCO 2022: Abstract Recommendations From Dr. Alexander van Akkooi for Advanced Melanoma
- Effect of Time Interval Between Diagnostic Excision-Biopsy of a Primary Melanoma and SNB on Sentinel Node Positivity Rate and Survival Outcomes
- Adaptive Dosing of Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab in Advanced Melanoma
- Pembrolizumab vs Placebo as Adjuvant Therapy in Completely Resected Stage IIB or IIC Melanoma
- Ribociclib Plus Binimetinib for NRAS-Mutant Melanoma
- Limited Impact of COVID-19–Related Diagnostic Delay on Tumor Characteristics of Cutaneous Melanoma and SCC