Irene Hamrick MD, FAAFP, AGSF, CMDProfessor, Geriatrics Division; Director, Department of Family and Community Medicine; Martha Betty Semmons Endowed Chair in Geriatric Medicine; and Chief of the Office of Geriatric Medicine at University of Cincinnati; Cincinnati, Ohio
Dr. Hamrick is a Professor of Family and Community Medicine. She earned her BS in Nursing at Western Carolina University, summa cum laude, and was inducted to Sigma Theta Tau. She attended East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine and was inducted to Alpha Omega Alpha, completing her residency and geriatric fellowship there. She remained at Brody as faculty in the Department of Family Medicine, where she served as Director of the Geriatric Division 2008-2011 and Director of the Geriatric Fellowship 2004-2010. She was the Geriatric Services Director at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, where she developed a teaching nursing home in 2011-2019. She now is Chair of the Office of Geriatrics at the University of Cincinnati, Medical Director of the Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center VA Nursing Home, and Inaugural Section Chief of Geriatrics, Palliative Care and Hospice Medicine, Cincinnati VA.
Dr. Hamrick has been recognized for educational leadership, administration and outstanding teaching and mentoring. Her research activities include health disparities in osteoporosis, falls, dementia, computer simulation for home safety, diabetes, and dehydration. She is the recent past Chair of the Health Systems Innovation-Economics and Technology Committee for the American Geriatrics Society.
When not working, Dr. Hamrick enjoys snow skiing, jogging, bicycling, social dancing, and traveling. She is originally from Germany and likes practicing her German whenever possible. Her children live in Germantown, Maryland, and Munich, Germany.
Irene Hamrick, MD, reports receiving honorarium from PracticeUpdate.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Report From the AAFP Geriatrics Conference 2019: Diabetes
- DOACs Are Associated With Lower Fracture Risk Among Patients With AF
- 2019 Top Stories in Primary Care: 2019 Beers Criteria
- Thyroid Replacement Therapy, TSH Concentrations, and Long-Term Health Outcomes in Patients With Hypothyroidism
- Effect of Collaborative Dementia Care via Telephone and Internet on Quality of Life, Caregiver Well-Being, and Healthcare Use
- Antipsychotics for Preventing Delirium in Hospitalized Adults
- Antipsychotics for Treating Delirium in Hospitalized Adults
- Reports From the American Geriatrics Society 2019 Conference: Statins for Primary Prevention in Older Adults
- Reports From the American Geriatrics Society 2019 Conference: Diabetes Care for Frail Older Adults
- Reports From the American Geriatrics Society 2019 Conference: Geriatric Pharmacology Updates