Irene Hamrick MD, FAAFP, AGSF, CMDProfessor, Geriatrics Division; Director, Department of Family and Community Medicine; Martha Betty Semmons Endowed Chair in Geriatric Medicine; and Chief of the Office of Geriatric Medicine at University of Cincinnati; Cincinnati, Ohio
Dr. Hamrick is a Professor of Family and Community Medicine. She earned her BS in Nursing at Western Carolina University, summa cum laude, and was inducted to Sigma Theta Tau. She attended East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine and was inducted to Alpha Omega Alpha, completing her residency and geriatric fellowship there. She remained at Brody as faculty in the Department of Family Medicine, where she served as Director of the Geriatric Division 2008-2011 and Director of the Geriatric Fellowship 2004-2010. She was the Geriatric Services Director at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, where she developed a teaching nursing home in 2011-2019. She now is Chair of the Office of Geriatrics at the University of Cincinnati, Medical Director of the Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center VA Nursing Home, and Inaugural Section Chief of Geriatrics, Palliative Care and Hospice Medicine, Cincinnati VA.
Dr. Hamrick has been recognized for educational leadership, administration and outstanding teaching and mentoring. Her research activities include health disparities in osteoporosis, falls, dementia, computer simulation for home safety, diabetes, and dehydration. She is the recent past Chair of the Health Systems Innovation-Economics and Technology Committee for the American Geriatrics Society.
When not working, Dr. Hamrick enjoys snow skiing, jogging, bicycling, social dancing, and traveling. She is originally from Germany and likes practicing her German whenever possible. Her children live in Germantown, Maryland, and Munich, Germany.
Irene Hamrick, MD, reports receiving honorarium from PracticeUpdate.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Association of Internet Usage With the Prospective Risk of Dementia
- Association of Mandatory Cognitive Testing for License Renewal With Motor Vehicle Collisions and Road Injuries
- Edema and Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Association of Social Isolation With Dementia Risk in Community-Dwelling Medicare Beneficiaries in the US
- Effect of Cholinesterase Inhibitors on Mortality in Patients With Dementia
- Association of the Use of Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implants With Cognitive Decline and Dementia
- 2022 Top Story in Primary Care: Dementia Prevention
- From the American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting, AGS22: AGS Beers Criteria Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Adults
- Transitioning From Insulin Therapy to DPP-4 Inhibitors in Patients With Type 2 diabetes
- Effect of Antihypertensive Classes on Cerebral Small Vessel Disease