Sumanta Kumar Pal MDClinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research; Co-Director, Kidney Cancer Program, City of Hope, Duarte, California
Dr. Sumanta (Monty) Pal is a medical oncologist and an internationally recognized leader in the area of genitourinary cancers. He is a Clinical Professor in the Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research at City of Hope in Duarte, California, where he is co-director of the kidney cancer program and heads up the kidney and bladder cancer disease team at that institution. Dr. Pal entered medical school at the age of 17, and received his MD from the UCLA School of Medicine, where he developed his interest in cancer research. After residency training in internal medicine at the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, he completed a fellowship in medical oncology at City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, where he has remained on faculty since 2009.
Over that time, he has published more than 400 PubMed-cited articles, which have been featured in prominent journals, including The Lancet, Nature Medicine, Cancer Discovery, Journal of Clinical Oncology, The Lancet Oncology, and European Urology, and has presented his work at numerous international meetings. His goal is to translate laboratory discoveries as quickly and efficiently as possible into tangible benefits for patients. Dr. Pal is the lead investigator on multiple trials, ranging from early phase I experiences to late phase III studies. He has received grants from the National Institute of Health, the Comprehensive Cancer Network, SWOG Cancer Research Network, and multiple other leading entities in support of his research.
Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research; Co-Director, Kidney Cancer Program, City of Hope, Duarte, California
MD: UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California
Fellowship (hematology/oncology): City of Hope/Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, California
Research Interests:Genitourinary cancers; translational science; microbiome
Sumanta Kumar Pal, MD serves as a consultant to Roche. He also receives institutional research funds from Roche, Genentech, Exelixis, Eisai, and Pfizer.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Practical Implications of ctDNA in RCC: New Data From ASCO GU 2017
- Evaluation of Dalantercept Combined With Axitinib in Advanced RCC
- Sequencing Targeted Therapies With High-Dose Interleukin 2 Immunotherapy in Metastatic RCC
- 2016 Top Stories in RCC: CABOSUN Clinical Trial
- Emerging Compounds and Strategies for RCC Treatment
- Atezolizumab Adjuvant Study: Oncologist Perspective
- Current Perspectives on Rx Sequencing for RCC: 3. Is There Still a Role for IL-2?
- Sumanta Pal on the Molecular Signatures of Risk and Response in RCC
- Current Perspectives on Rx Sequencing for RCC: 2. Combination Therapy Vis-à-Vis Toxicity
- Perspectives on Therapeutic Toxicity in RCC