Sumanta Kumar Pal MDClinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research; Co-Director, Kidney Cancer Program, City of Hope, Duarte, California
Dr. Sumanta (Monty) Pal is a medical oncologist and an internationally recognized leader in the area of genitourinary cancers. He is a Clinical Professor in the Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research at City of Hope in Duarte, California, where he is co-director of the kidney cancer program and heads up the kidney and bladder cancer disease team at that institution. Dr. Pal entered medical school at the age of 17, and received his MD from the UCLA School of Medicine, where he developed his interest in cancer research. After residency training in internal medicine at the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, he completed a fellowship in medical oncology at City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, where he has remained on faculty since 2009.
Over that time, he has published more than 400 PubMed-cited articles, which have been featured in prominent journals, including The Lancet, Nature Medicine, Cancer Discovery, Journal of Clinical Oncology, The Lancet Oncology, and European Urology, and has presented his work at numerous international meetings. His goal is to translate laboratory discoveries as quickly and efficiently as possible into tangible benefits for patients. Dr. Pal is the lead investigator on multiple trials, ranging from early phase I experiences to late phase III studies. He has received grants from the National Institute of Health, the Comprehensive Cancer Network, SWOG Cancer Research Network, and multiple other leading entities in support of his research.
Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research; Co-Director, Kidney Cancer Program, City of Hope, Duarte, California
MD: UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California
Fellowship (hematology/oncology): City of Hope/Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, California
Research Interests:Genitourinary cancers; translational science; microbiome
Sumanta Kumar Pal, MD serves as a consultant to Roche. He also receives institutional research funds from Roche, Genentech, Exelixis, Eisai, and Pfizer.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- 2017 Top Stories in RCC: Nivolumab
- Gut Microbiome Influences Efficacy of PD-1–Based Immunotherapy Against Epithelial Tumors
- Adjuvant Sunitinib for High-Risk Renal Cell Carcinoma After Nephrectomy
- CRLX101 in Combination With Bevacizumab vs Standard of Care in Patients With Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Complexity of the Genomic Landscape of RCC: Implications for Targeted Therapy and Precision Immuno-Oncology
- Adjuvant Pazopanib vs Placebo After Nephrectomy for Localized or Locally Advanced RCC
- Liquid Biopsy in Advanced Solid Tumors
- Renal Cell Carcinoma in 2017
- Advances in Prostate Cancer at ESMO 2017
- Updates in Advanced Prostate Cancer