Sumanta Kumar Pal MDClinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research; Co-Director, Kidney Cancer Program, City of Hope, Duarte, California
Dr. Sumanta (Monty) Pal is a medical oncologist and an internationally recognized leader in the area of genitourinary cancers. He is a Clinical Professor in the Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research at City of Hope in Duarte, California, where he is co-director of the kidney cancer program and heads up the kidney and bladder cancer disease team at that institution. Dr. Pal entered medical school at the age of 17, and received his MD from the UCLA School of Medicine, where he developed his interest in cancer research. After residency training in internal medicine at the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, he completed a fellowship in medical oncology at City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, where he has remained on faculty since 2009.
Over that time, he has published more than 400 PubMed-cited articles, which have been featured in prominent journals, including The Lancet, Nature Medicine, Cancer Discovery, Journal of Clinical Oncology, The Lancet Oncology, and European Urology, and has presented his work at numerous international meetings. His goal is to translate laboratory discoveries as quickly and efficiently as possible into tangible benefits for patients. Dr. Pal is the lead investigator on multiple trials, ranging from early phase I experiences to late phase III studies. He has received grants from the National Institute of Health, the Comprehensive Cancer Network, SWOG Cancer Research Network, and multiple other leading entities in support of his research.
Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research; Co-Director, Kidney Cancer Program, City of Hope, Duarte, California
MD: UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California
Fellowship (hematology/oncology): City of Hope/Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, California
Research Interests:Genitourinary cancers; translational science; microbiome
Sumanta Kumar Pal, MD serves as a consultant to Roche. He also receives institutional research funds from Roche, Genentech, Exelixis, Eisai, and Pfizer.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Updated Recommendations on the Diagnosis, Management, and Clinical Trial Eligibility Criteria for Patients With Renal Medullary Carcinoma
- The Probability of Aggressive Histology Increases With Increasing Renal Tumor Size
- Adjuvant Sunitinib in Patients With High-Risk Renal Cell Carcinoma
- ASCO 2018: The Role of Cytoreductive Nephrectomy in Newly Diagnosed RCC
- ASCO 2018: The Current Landscape for Adjuvant Therapy in RCC
- Targeting Bacteroides in Stool Microbiome and Response to Treatment With First-Line VEGF TKIs in mRCC
- Clinical Activity and Molecular Correlates of Response to Atezolizumab ± Bevacizumab vs Sunitinib in RCC
- Increased Treatment Facility Volume Is Associated With Improved Survival in Patients With mRCC
- ASCO 2018: An Overview of Novel Immunotherapy Combinations for RCC
- ASCO 2018: Updates on PARP Inhibitors in Prostate Cancer