Robert O Bonow MD, MSGoldberg Distinguished Professor of Cardiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine; Director, Center for Cardiovascular Innovation, Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Dr. Robert O. Bonow is the Goldberg Distinguished Professor of Cardiology at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and Director of the Center for Cardiovascular Innovation. He received his MD degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. He has authored or co-authored more than 460 published papers and 100 book chapters. He serves on the editorial boards of 10 medical journals and is one of the four editors of Braunwald’s Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine.
Dr. Bonow is past-President of the American Heart Association, a Master of the American College of Cardiology and a Master of the American College of Physicians. He has served on the Board of Trustees of the American College of Cardiology, the Board of Directors of the American Heart Association, the Subspecialty Board on Cardiovascular Disease of the American Board of Internal Medicine, the Board of Extramural Advisors of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, and the Clinical Research Roundtable of the Institute of Medicine.
Among his honors are the NIH Director's Award, the U.S. Public Health Service Commendation Medal and Outstanding Service Medal, and elected membership in the American Society for Clinical Investigation and the Association of American Physicians. He is the recipient of the Distinguished Leadership Award, Distinguished Achievement Award, Gold Heart Award, and James B. Herrick Award of the American Heart Association; the Distinguished Fellowship Award and Distinguished Service Award of the American College of Cardiology; the Denolin Award of the European Society of Cardiology; and the John Phillips Memorial Award of the American College of Physicians. An endowed chair was established in his name at Northwestern University in 2012.
- Editor-in-Chief, JAMA Cardiology
- Chair of the DSMB of a clinical trial sponsored by Gilead.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Aortic Valve Stenosis–A Review
- Percutaneous Mitral Valve Repair for Mitral Regurgitation in High-Risk Patients
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation in Failed Bioprosthetic Surgical Valves
- Futility, Benefit, and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement
- Predictors of Poor Outcome After TAVR
- BNP Levels Associated With Mortality in Aortic Stenosis
- TAVR Results Among Highlights of ACC 2014 Late-Breaking Sessions
- Perioperative Risk in Patients With Severe Aortic Stenosis
- Mortality From LV Dysfunction in MVR Due to Flail Leaflets
- Mitral-Valve Repair Versus Replacement for Severe Ischemic Mitral Regurgitation