Sign in to PracticeUpdate
Only registered members have full access to PracticeUpdate content.
- Huremovic D. Brief history of pandemics (pandemics throughout history). Psychiatry of Pandemics. 2019:7-35.
- Thakur V, Jain A. COVID 2019-suicides: a global psychological pandemic. Brain Behav Immun. Published online April 23, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.bbi.2020.04.062
- Sim K, Chua HC, Vieta E, Fernandez G. The anatomy of panic buying related to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Psychiatry Res. 2020;288:113015.
- Zhang J, Lu H, Zeng H, Zhang S, Du Q, Jiang T, et al. The differential psychological distress of populations affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Brain Behav Immun. Published online April 15, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.bbi.2020.04.031
- Boscarino JA, Adams RE. Assessing community reactions to Ebola virus disease and other disasters: using social psychological research to enhance public health and disaster communications. Int J Emerg Ment Health. 2015;17:234-238.
- Teasdale E, Yardley L, Schlotz W, Michie S. The importance of coping appraisal in behavioural responses to pandemic flu. Br J Health Psychol. 2012;17(1):44-59.
- Peng EY-C, Lee M-B, Tsai S-T, et al. Population-based post-crisis psychological distress: an example from the SARS outbreak in Taiwan. J Formos Med Assoc. 2010;109(7):524-532.
- Douglas PK, Douglas DB, Harrigan DC, Douglas KM. Preparing for pandemic influenza and its aftermath: mental health issues considered. Int J Emerg Ment Health. 2009;11(3):137-144.
- Goodwin R, Gaines SOJ, Myers L, Neto F. Initial psychological responses to swine flu. Int J Behav Med. 2011;18(2):88-92.
- Straus SE, Wilson K, Rambaldini G, et al. Severe acute respiratory syndrome and its impact on professionalism: qualitative study of physicians’ behaviour during an emerging healthcare crisis. BMJ. 2004;329(7457):83.
- Styra R, Hawryluck L, Robinson S, Kasapinovic S, Fones C, Gold WL. Impact on health care workers employed in high-risk areas during the Toronto SARS outbreak. J Psychosom Res. 2008;64(2):177-183.
- Chong M-Y, Wang W-C, Hsieh W-C, et al. Psychological impact of severe acute respiratory syndrome on health workers in a tertiary hospital. Br J Psychiatry. 2004;185:127-133.
- Goulia P, Mantas C, Dimitroula D, Mantis D, Hyphantis T. General hospital staff worries, perceived sufficiency of information and associated psychological distress during the A/H1N1 influenza pandemic. BMC Infect Dis. 2010;10:322.
- Tzeng H-M, Yin C-Y. A crisis: fear toward a possible H5N1 pandemic. J Nurs Care Qual. 2008;23(2):177-183.
- Zhang W-R, Wang K, Yin L, et al. Mental health and psychosocial problems of medical health workers during the COVID-19 epidemic in China. Psychother Psychosom. Published online April 9, 2020. doi:10.1159/000507639
- McMahon SA, Ho LS, Brown H, Miller L, Ansumana R, Kennedy CE. Healthcare providers on the frontlines: a qualitative investigation of the social and emotional impact of delivering health services during Sierra Leone’s Ebola epidemic. Health Policy Plan. 2016;31(9):1232-1239.
- Butsashvili M, Triner W, Kamkamidze G, Kajaia M, McNutt L-A. Knowledge and anticipated behaviour of health-care workers in response to an outbreak of pandemic influenza in Georgia. World Hosp Health Serv. 2008;44(2):24-26.
- Imai H, Matsuishi K, Ito A, et al. Factors associated with motivation and hesitation to work among health professionals during a public crisis: a cross sectional study of hospital workers in Japan during the pandemic (H1N1) 2009. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:672.
- Ehrenstein BP, Hanses F, Salzberger B. Influenza pandemic and professional duty: family or patients first? A survey of hospital employees. BMC Public Health. 2006;6:311.
- Balicer RD, Omer SB, Barnett DJ, Everly GSJ. Local public health workers’ perceptions toward responding to an influenza pandemic. BMC Public Health. 2006;6:99.
- Cullen W, Gulati G, Kelly BD. Mental health in the COVID-19 pandemic. QJM. 2020;113(5):311-312.
- El Gaafary MM, Abd Elaziz KM, Abdel-Rahman AG, Allam MF. Concerns, perceived impacts and preparedness of health care workers in a referral hospital in Egypt in facing influenza (H1N1) epidemic. J Prev Med Hyg. 2010;51(3):105-109.
- Santarone K, McKenney M, Elkbuli A. Preserving mental health and resilience in frontline healthcare workers during COVID-19. Am J Emerg Med. Published online April 15, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.ajem.2020.04.030
- Lancet T. COVID-19: protecting health-care workers. Lancet. 2020;395(10228):922.
- Wu P, Fang Y, Guan Z, et al. The psychological impact of the SARS epidemic on hospital employees in China: exposure, risk perception, and altruistic acceptance of risk. Can J Psychiatry. 2009;54(5):302-311.
- Park S-C, Park YC. Mental health care measures in response to the 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak in Korea. Psychiatry Investig. 2020;17(2):85‐86.