Sumanta Kumar Pal MDClinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research; Co-Director, Kidney Cancer Program, City of Hope, Duarte, California
Dr. Sumanta (Monty) Pal is a medical oncologist and an internationally recognized leader in the area of genitourinary cancers. He is a clinical professor in the Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research at City of Hope in Duarte, California, where he is co-director of the kidney cancer program and heads up the kidney and bladder cancer disease team at that institution. Dr. Pal entered medical school at the age of 17, and received his MD from the UCLA School of Medicine, where he developed his interest in cancer research. After residency training in internal medicine at the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, he completed a fellowship in medical oncology at City of Hope’s comprehensive cancer center, where he has remained on faculty since 2009.
Over that time, he has published more than 300 PubMed-cited articles, which have been featured in prominent journals, including Cancer Discovery, Journal of Clinical Oncology, The Lancet Oncology, Cancer Cell, and European Urology, and has presented his work at numerous international meetings. His goal is to translate laboratory discoveries as quickly and efficiently as possible into tangible benefits for patients. Dr. Pal is the lead investigator on multiple trials, ranging from early phase I experiences to late phase III studies. He has received grants from the National Institute of Health, the Comprehensive Cancer Network, SWOG Cancer Research Network, and multiple other leading entities in support of his research.
Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research; Co-Director, Kidney Cancer Program, City of Hope, Duarte, California
MD: UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California
Fellowship (hematology/oncology): City of Hope/Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, California
Research Interests:Genitourinary cancers; translational science
Sumanta Kumar Pal, MD serves as a consultant to Pfizer, Inc., Novartis, AVEO Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Genentech, Inc., Exelixis, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, and Astellas Pharma, Inc.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Immune-Related Adverse Events in Advanced Kidney Cancer
- Key Takeaways From ESMO: Immunotherapy for Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Cabozantinib Plus Atezolizumab for Non-Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Cabozantinib Plus Atezolizumab as First-Line Therapy for Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- ASCO: Cabozantinib and Atezolizumab in Urothelial Cancer
- ASCO: Tivozanib for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- ASCO: Early Data on the Gut Microbiome and Outcomes in RCC
- ASCO: New Data on Biomarkers in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- ASCO 2020: Abstract Recommendations From Dr. Sumanta Pal for Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Defining Value in Metastatic Prostate Cancer