Steven A. Kaplan MD, FACSE. Darracott Vaughan Jr. Professor of Urology; Chief, Institute for Bladder and Prostate Health, Weill Cornell Medical College; Director, Iris Cantor Men’s Health Center, New York Presbyterian Hospital; New York, New York
Dr. Steven Kaplan received a BS in biochemistry from CUNY - Brooklyn College in 1978 and graduated from Mount Sinai School of Medicine in 1982 and was elected to the AOA Honor Society. Dr. Kaplan’s postgraduate training included an internship and residency in the Department of Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital as well as a residency in Urology at the Squier Urologic Clinic, Columbia University. He was an American Urologic Association Scholar between 1988 – 1990 that focused on identifying molecular markers and urodynamic parameters that herald bladder and prostate dysfunction.
Dr. Kaplan was the Given Foundation Professor of Urology and Administrator, as well as Vice Chairman of the Department of Urology at Columbia University from 1998 – 2005. Currently, Dr. Kaplan is the E Darracott Vaughan Jr. Professor of Urology and Chief, Institute for Bladder and Prostate Health at Weill Cornell Medical College and Director, Iris Cantor Men’s Health Center at New York Presbyterian Hospital. He has been Fellowship Director for Female Urology and Voiding Dysfunction from 1995 - 2005 at Columbia and at Weill Cornell Medical College since 2005. He is a serial entrepreneur and a founder of Medidata Solutions Inc., a publicly held corporation and one of the premier electronic data capture companies in the world; Medivizor, Inc., a medical informatics enterprise; and, Blabbelon Shout, a novel VOIP and social media platform.
Dr. Kaplan is a Diplomat of the American Board of Urology and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He is a recognized authority on the study of benign diseases of the prostate, the association of metabolic factors and voiding dysfunction and female urology. He has published more than 820 articles, 170 abstracts, and has made over 335 presentations in more than 35 countries. He is the co - author of five books and is on the Editorial Board of Urology, Journal of Urology, and Urology Times.
Dr. Kaplan is a member of more than 30 professional organizations, been awarded 5 NIH grants and has received over 13 million dollars in research funding. He was awarded the John K. Lattimer Award for Lifetime Achievement in Urology by the National Kidney Foundation. Most recently, he chaired the NIDDK Prostate Strategic Planning Committee and currently co - chairs the AUA Research Foundation Committee on Advocacy.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Prostatic Urethral Lift for Benign Prostatic Enlargement
- Prostatic Artery Embolization vs a Sham Procedure for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- Comparative Effectiveness of Transurethral Prostate Procedures at Enabling Urologic Medication Discontinuation
- Efficacy and Safety of New Surgical Treatments for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- Rezūm Water Vapor Thermal Therapy for Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Associated With Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- Dementia Risk Associated With Tamsulosin in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- Lowering Effect of Metabolic Syndrome on Serum PSA Levels Is Partly Concealed by an Enlarged Prostate
- Development and Initial Testing of the FLOW Instrument
- Five-Year Results of the Prostatic Urethral L.I.F.T. Study
- Prostatic Urethral Lift vs TURP