Stephen E. Helms MD, FAADProfessor, Department of Dermatology, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi
Dr. Stephen Helms earned his MD degree at the Ohio State University College of Medicine in Columbus, Ohio and completed residency training in dermatology at the University of Pittsburgh, Pa. Board-certified in dermatology in 1978 and recertified in 2006 and 2016, Dr. Helms was in private practice in Warren, Ohio for over 30 years in addition to teaching medical students and Dermatology residents part time at the Northeast Ohio Medical University and Case Western Reserve University College of Medicine. He now serves as a Professor of Dermatology at the University of Mississippi Medical Center where his special interest is in Contact Dermatitis and Occupational Dermatology.
A fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology, Helms is an active member of multiple professional organizations and has given more than 270 invited lectures at professional meetings nationwide. He has authored or coauthored more than 60 articles in peer-reviewed professional publications and coauthored 6 chapters in medical textbooks. He serves as a journal reviewer or commentator for Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Dermatitis, Cutis, Practical Dermatology, and American Family Practice. and has participated in several clinical research studies. He has served on committees for the American Academy of Dermatology as well as hospital committees in Warren and at UMMC. He has served several years each as secretary and later as vice president of his medical staff in Warren. Other positions have included president of his county medical society, secretary of the Ohio State Dermatological Association, and Board Member of the Cleveland Dermatological Society. He enjoys fishing, reading, watching classic movies, and especially, traveling with his wife, two children and their families.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Additional Skin Conditions Associated With Celiac Disease
- Acetophenone Azine: 2021 ACDS Allergen of the Year
- Duration of Dermatitis Before Patch Test Appointment Is Associated With Distance to Clinic and County Poverty Rate
- Scabies Coexisting With Other Dermatoses
- Association Between the Mental Health of Patients With Psoriasis and Their Satisfaction With Physicians
- Dupilumab Treatment in Severe Allergic Contact Dermatitis Due to Sesquiterpene Lactones
- Old Contact Allergens and New Dermatitis
- Systemic Allergic Dermatitis Presenting as Acute Generalized Exanthematous Pustulosis Due to Betamethasone Sodium Phosphate
- Prevalence of Allergens in Prescription Topical Steroids and Immunomodulators
- The Impact of Dupilumab on Patch Testing and the Prevalence of Co-Morbid ACD in Recalcitrant Atopic Dermatitis