Prof. Stephanie Watson BSc, MBBS, FRANZCO, PhDHead, Corneal Research Group, The University of Sydney, Save Sight Institute, Discipline of Ophthalmology, Sydney Medical School, and Head, Corneal Unit, Sydney Eye Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia; Chair, Ophthalmic Research Institute of Australia
Professor Watson is a clinician scientist known for her ground-breaking research in corneal therapies, appointed at the University of Sydney and Sydney Eye, Sydney Children's and Prince of Wales Hospitals, Australia. She has over 255 publications, is invited to speak internationally, and has raised over $12 million for her research programme. She is a Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (RANZCO) and a Fellow of the Academy of Asia-Pacific Professors of Ophthalmology.
As Chair, Ophthalmic Research Institute of Australia, Chair Elect to the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Advocacy and Outreach Committee, Editor for the Cochrane Eyes and Vision Group she contributes to policy. She has been an Expert Advisor to the $150M Stem Cell Therapies Mission.
Professor Watson was the only Australian to make the 2021 Power List of Women in Ophthalmology and was awarded the NSW Premier’s Prize for Leadership in Innovation, RANZCO Council lecture, first prize Medical Device Commercialisation Training Program, ATP Innovations/NSW Office for Health and Medical Research and nominated for NSW Women of the Year and a Pride of Australia award. She led her team to win the Best Health Innovation Product Idea, IDE group.
Dr. Watson is currently an Advisor for Alcon and Okogen and Director of Sydney Surgical Centre. She has advised Novartis, Glakos and Sequirus.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Adhesion and Rebubbling Rate of Eye Bank-Prepared vs Surgeon-Prepared DMEK Tissues
- The Two-Faced Effects of Nerves and Neuropeptides in Corneal Diseases
- Diurnal Variation in Straylight in Patients With Fuchs' Endothelial Corneal Dystrophy
- Long-Term Outcomes of DSEK in Terms of Graft Survival and Endothelial Cell Loss
- Acyclovir-Resistant HSV-1 Keratitis
- 2021 Top Story in Eye Care: New Indicator of Excessive Screen Time by Children and Potential Ramification
- Effects of Topical Treatment Application on Ocular Surface Parameters After Intravitreal Injections
- Fluid-Filled Scleral Lens Devices for Limbal Stem Cell Deficiency Management
- Clinical Outcomes of Herpes Simplex Keratitis
- Postrefractive Infectious Keratitis