Satheesh Elangovan BDS, DSc, DMScProfessor, Department of Periodontics, The University of Iowa College of Dentistry, Iowa City, Iowa
Dr. Elangovan is a Professor in the Department of Periodontics at the University of Iowa College of Dentistry (UICOD), Iowa City, Iowa. He holds secondary appointments in the Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Pharmaceutical and Experimental Therapeutics at the University of Iowa.
After receiving his dental training from Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai, India, Dr. Elangovan completed Doctor of Science in Oral Biology at Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts and then received his combined Doctor of Medical Science in Oral Biology degree and Periodontology residency at Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology and is a practicing periodontist at UICOD since 2011, providing the full spectrum of periodontal and implant procedures.
Dr. Elangovan has published widely and has presented at numerous national meetings in the areas of bone tissue engineering, clinical and health outcomes research and evidence-based dentistry research. He served as an Associate Editor for the Newman and Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology 13th edition textbook and is one of the editors for the first edition of Newman and Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology for the Dental Hygienists.
Dr. Elangovan was an unpaid advisor for Touch Surgery in the past and received federal and foundation grants to support his research programs. He receive honorarium from Elsevier for his editorial activities.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Comparative Evaluation of Transcrestal and Lateral Sinus Floor Elevation in Sites With Residual Bone Height ≤6 mm
- Dental Education During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- 2020 Top Stories in Clinical Dentistry: Flossing Helps Maintain Better Oral Health in Older Adults
- Evidence-Based Recommendations for Flossing in Older Adults
- Azithromycin Use and Cardiovascular Mortality
- Guided Tooth Regeneration in Deep Intra-Bony Defects Promotes Long-Term Tooth Survival
- Hypertension Increases With Worsening Stages of Impaired Glucose Metabolism
- Smokers Have More Residual Periodontal Pockets 1 Year After Treatment Than Nonsmokers
- Macrolide Use in Pregnancy Associated With Increased Risk in Offspring