Roxana S. Dronca MDChair, Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic Florida, Jacksonville, Florida
Dr. Dronca is an Associate Professor of Oncology, Chair of the Mayo Clinic Division of Hematology/Oncology, and a Consultant in the Division of Hematology/Oncology. Her research interests are in the field of tumor immunology, malignant melanoma, and genitourinary malignancies. Her goal is to understand the interaction between the immune system and cancer, study the dynamics and mechanisms of systemic immune regulation patients with advanced malignancies, and develop innovative approaches to cancer therapy utilizing chemotherapy and immunotherapy agents administered in an individualized fashion. Dr. Dronca has received federal funding in support of her research for identifying biomarkers of response to novel immune checkpoint inhibitors, in collaboration with Dr. Haidong Dong.
Dr. Dronca also currently serves as the Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Program Director, is an active member in the Florida Executive Operations Team, and the Mayo Clinic Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Education and Honors
Dr. Dronca completed medical school at Iuliu Hatieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy. Her Internal Medicine residency was completed at the William Beaumont Hospital where she was promoted to the Chief Resident. Her fellowship in Hematology/ Oncology was completed at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science (Rochester, Minnesota), where she received excellence awards throughout her training. Upon graduation, Dr. Dronca has been awarded the prestigious Mayo Foundation Scholarship award, which has allowed her to continue her training in tumor immunology. She has also been awarded a KL-2 Mentored Career Development award through the Mayo Clinic Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences. In addition, Dr. Dronca is an active teaching faculty in the Mayo Medical School and Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education and she has received numerous teaching awards. Dr. Dronca has authored over 55 peer-reviewed manuscripts, in addition to book chapters, and editorials.
DisclosuresDr. Dronca has no relevant disclosures.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- 2021 Top Story in Oncology: Overall Survival Benefit With Tebentafusp in Metastatic Uveal Melanoma
- ESMO 2021: Recommendations From Dr. Roxana Dronca for Melanoma
- ASCO 2021: Abstract Recommendations From Dr. Roxana Dronca for Melanoma
- Chemoimmunotherapy After Failure on Checkpoint Inhibitor Treatment for Metastatic Melanoma
- Key Trials on Adjuvant Immunotherapy for Melanoma
- Long-Term Safety of Pembrolizumab for Advanced Melanoma
- Key Takeaways From ESMO: Updates on Immunotherapy for Melanoma
- Sequencing of Immunotherapy and Targeted Therapy for Advanced Melanoma
- Association of BRAF V600E/K Mutation Status and Prior BRAF/MEK Inhibition With Pembrolizumab Outcomes in Patients With Advanced Melanoma
- ASCO 2020: Abstract Recommendations From Dr. Roxana Dronca for Melanoma