Nina F. Schor MD, PhDDeputy Director, National Institute of Neurological Disorders & Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland; Senior Faculty Associate, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
Nina F. Schor, MD, PhD is Deputy Director of the NINDS and a Senior Faculty Associate at the University of Rochester. Dr. Schor graduated cum laude from Yale University with a B.S. degree in Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry and as a Scholar of the House in Chemistry Research in 1975. She received her PhD in Medical Biochemistry from Rockefeller University and the laboratory of Dr. Anthony Cerami in 1980 and her MD from Cornell University Medical College in 1981. Dr. Schor pursued residency training in Pediatrics at Boston Children’s Hospital (1981-1983) under Dr. Mary Ellen Avery and Child Neurology at the Longwood Area-Harvard Neurology Program (1983-1986) under Dr. Charles Barlow. During residency, she also pursued a postdoctoral fellowship in the laboratory of Dr. Manfred Karnofsky at Harvard. During this time, she began her studies of neuroblastoma, aimed at understanding the neurobiology of this tumor and exploiting this understanding to design and test in preclinical models novel strategies for the therapy of chemoresistant neuroblastoma, and funded by the NINDS and NCI and many private foundations for 27 years. For the next 20 years, Dr. Schor rose through the academic and administrative ranks at the University of Pittsburgh, ultimately becoming the Carol Ann Craumer Professor of Pediatric Research, Chief of the Division of Child Neurology in the Department of Pediatrics, and Associate Dean for Medical Student Research at the medical school. In 2006, Dr. Schor became the William H. Eilinger Chair of the Department of Pediatrics, and Pediatrician-in-Chief of the Golisano Children’s Hospital at the University of Rochester, posts she held until January 2018, when she became Deputy Director of the NINDS.
Nina F. Schor, MD, PhD is a Director of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- 2020 Top Stories in Neurology: Telemedicine and Child Neurology: Both Creating and Demanding Access Equity
- Recommendations on the Diagnostic Workup for Malformations of Cortical Development
- FDA Approves New Therapy for Dravet Syndrome
- Acute Cerebellitis Diagnosis
- 2018 Top Stories in Neurology: FDA Approval of Cannabidiol for Use in Lennox-Gastaut and Dravet Syndromes
- 2017 Top Stories in Neurology: Prophylaxis of Migraine in Children and Adolescents
- 2016 Top Stories in Neurology: Zika Virus–Associated Congenital Brain Malformations
- 2015 Top Stories in Neurology: Child Neurology
- Hemichorea–Hemiballismus as the First Sign of Diabetes in Adolescence
- Celiac Disease and Epileptiform Activities in Electroencephalography