Michael G. Newman DDS, FACDProfessor Emeritus, University of California at Los Angeles School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA
Dr. Michael G. Newman is a periodontist in Los Angeles, where he has been in clinical practice for more than 30 years. He is a professor emeritus at the UCLA School of Dentistry, and a founding board member emeritus of the McGuire Institute in Houston. Dr. Newman has consulted for professional organizations and private industry for over 35 years and is dental advisor to Touch Surgery (London). He is a diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology and a past president of the American Academy of Periodontology.
Dr. Newman is senior author of Newman and Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology, 13th edition, (Elsevier), the most widely used periodontal textbook in the world, and senior author of Newman and Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology for the Dental Hygienist (Elsevier). He is the founding editor of the Journal of Evidence-Based Dental Practice (Elsevier) and has published more than 200 abstracts and articles in peer-reviewed journals.
After graduating from the UCLA School of Dentistry, Dr. Newman completed periodontal and microbiology training at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine and the Forsyth Dental Institute.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Developments, Application, and Performance of Artificial Intelligence in Dentistry
- 2020 Top Stories in Clinical Dentistry: The COVID-19 Pandemic Enhances the Need and Opportunities for Digital Technology in Dental Practice
- Improving Patient Outcomes Through Digital Dentistry: Practical Examples
- Improving Patient Outcomes Through Digital Dentistry: Concepts
- Consensus Report on the Association of Periodontitis and Cardiovascular Disease With Treatment Recommendations