Michael R. Gold MD, PhDMichael E Assey Professor of Medicine, Distinguished University Professor, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC
Dr. Gold is the Michael E Assey Professor of medicine, as well as the Director of the Division of Cardiology at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. He attended medical school at the University of Colorado after already completing his Ph.D. in Physiology at the University of Virginia. He completed his internship, residency and clinical fellowship at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
Dr. Gold has authored over 200 articles in peer-reviewed journals, in addition to over 30 book chapters. He sits on the Editorial Board of several peer-reviewed journals, including JACC, American Journal of Cardiology, PACE, Heart Rhythm, and Journal of Cardiac Electrophysiology. His major clinical research interests are in the areas of defibrillator optimization, risk stratification for sudden cardiac death and pacing for CHF. He is the national or global PI of several clinical studies including RIGHT, ASSERT, REVERSE, CLEPSYDRA, INOVATE HF and Evera MRI.
Consultant, clinical trials and speaker fees: Boston Scientific, Medtronic, St Jude
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- 5-Year Changes in Weight and Risk of AF
- Efficacy and Safety of an Extravascular ICD
- ICD Discharge and Driving Restrictions
- Primary Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death With ICD Generator Replacement
- Tricuspid Regurgitation and Mortality in Patients With Transvenous Pacemaker Leads
- Impact of a Novel Adaptive Optimization Algorithm on 30-Day Readmissions
- Chronic Performance of a Leadless Cardiac Pacemaker: 1-Year Follow-Up of the LEADLESS Trial
- Ventricular Fibrillation May Not Be Needed for Cardioverter–Defibrillator Implantation
- Predictors of Inadequate Defibrillation Safety Margin at ICD Implantation