Maria E Cabanillas MD, FACEAssociate Professor, Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
Dr. Maria Cabanillas is an oncologic endocrinologist in Houston, Texas, specializing in the treatment of thyroid cancer. She is Associate Professor in the Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
The focus of Dr. Cabanillas’ research is advanced differentiated medullary and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Her research interests include the treatment of locally advanced and widely metastatic thyroid cancer with systemic therapies and management of the side effects associated with the drugs. She serves as the Faculty Director of Clinical Trials in the Department of Endocrine Neoplasia at MD Anderson and is the principal and co-investigator on a number of clinical trials studying targeted therapy for advanced thyroid cancer.
Dr. Cabanillas received her medical degree from the University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine. She underwent residency training in internal medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and completed her fellowship in the Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.
She has published widely, with over 100 articles and abstracts and has presented her research nationally and internationally at professional conferences, seminars, and scientific exhibitions. Dr. Cabanillas is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the American Thyroid Association, and the International Thyroid Oncology Group (ITOG). She is Fellow of the American College of Endocrinology and a Fellow of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO).
DisclosuresDr. Maria Cabanillas reports no disclosures.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Novel Therapies and Future Directions in Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma
- Practice Updates in Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma From ASCO 2017
- Determining Which Post-Operative Therapy to Use and the Future of MTC—Expert Video 5 of 5
- Using Cabozantinib to Treat Medullary Thyroid Cancer—Expert Video 4 of 5
- Medullary Thyroid Cancer: Post-Operative Monitoring and When to Consider Therapy—Expert Video 2 of 5
- Using Vandetanib to Treat Medullary Thyroid Cancer—Expert Video 3 of 5
- Medullary Thyroid Cancer and Its Primary Treatment—Expert Video 1 of 5