Louis J. Catania OD, FAAO, DScSenior Clinical Associate, Nicolitz Eye Consultants, Jacksonville, FL
Dr. Louis J. Catania is an acclaimed educator and an internationally recognized expert in eye care, healthcare, artificial intelligence (AI), and disruptive technologies in bioscience. He has authored more than 160 journal articles and 9 textbooks, with a new one scheduled for publication in the fall of 2020.
Currently, Dr. Catania is a senior associate with Nicolitz Eye Consultants, a multispecialty ophthalmology group in Jacksonville, Florida. He is a lecturer with the University of North Florida Department of Continuing Education, and a visiting professor at Salus University College of Health Sciences. Over the course of his long clinical and academic career, he has expanded his professional scope through postdoctoral studies and research and has held academic rank at numerous optometric and medical schools in the US and internationally. Dr. Catania has been recipient of many honors, and he was voted one of the 10 most influential optometrists of the 20th century by the Review of Optometry.
Dr. Catania recently authored a new book, Foundations of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare and Bioscience, which was published at the end of 2020.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Deep Learning Algorithms to Isolate and Quantify the Structures of the Anterior Segment in OCT Images
- The American Society of Retina Specialists Artificial Intelligence Task Force Report
- The Potential for Artificial Intelligence in Eye Care
- The Impact of Artificial Intelligence in the Diagnosis and Management of Glaucoma
- Deep Learning in Ophthalmology: A Review
- Automated Diabetic Retinopathy Detection in Smartphone-Based Fundus Photography