Louis J. Catania OD, FAAO, DScSenior Clinical Associate, Nicolitz Eye Consultants, Jacksonville, Florida
Dr. Louis J. Catania is an acclaimed educator and an internationally recognized expert in eye care, healthcare, artificial intelligence (AI), and disruptive technologies in bioscience. He has authored more than 160 journal articles and 9 textbooks, with a new one scheduled for publication in the fall of 2020.
Currently, Dr. Catania is a senior associate with Nicolitz Eye Consultants, a multispecialty ophthalmology group in Jacksonville, Florida. He is a lecturer with the University of North Florida Department of Continuing Education, and a visiting professor at Salus University College of Health Sciences. Over the course of his long clinical and academic career, he has expanded his professional scope through postdoctoral studies and research and has held academic rank at numerous optometric and medical schools in the US and internationally. Dr. Catania has been recipient of many honors, and he was voted one of the 10 most influential optometrists of the 20th century by the Review of Optometry.
Dr. Catania recently authored a new book, Foundations of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare and Bioscience, which was published at the end of 2020.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Current Research and Future Directions in the Imaging of Amyloid and Tau in the Retina
- New Artificial Intelligence Analysis for Prediction of Long-Term Visual Improvement After Epiretinal Membrane Surgery
- Correlation Between the Gut Microbiota and Autoimmune Dry Eye in Individuals With Sjögren Syndrome
- Development and Integration of Trustworthy AI Systems in Ophthalmic Practice
- Automatic Detection of Abnormalities and Grading of Diabetic Retinopathy in 6-Field Retinal Images
- Differentiation of Active Corneal Infections From Healed Scars Using Deep Learning
- Deep Learning-Based Diagnostic Systems Using Wide-Field OCT Images
- Deep Learning Algorithms to Isolate and Quantify the Structures of the Anterior Segment in OCT Images
- The American Society of Retina Specialists Artificial Intelligence Task Force Report
- The Potential for Artificial Intelligence in Eye Care