J. William McEvoy MB BCh BAO, MEd, MHS, PhD, FRCPIEstablished Professor of Preventive Cardiology, National University of Ireland, Galway Campus; Medical and Research Director, National Institute for Prevention and Cardiovascular Health; Consultant Cardiologist, University College Hospital Galway, Saolta Healthcare Group, Galway, Ireland; ESC National Coordinator for CVD Prevention, Ireland; and Adjunct Faculty, Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland
J. William ("Bill") McEvoy is Professor of Preventive Cardiology at the National University of Ireland, Galway campus, and a Consultant Cardiologist at University College Hospital Galway, Ireland. He also serves as Medical and Research Director of the National Institute for Prevention and Cardiovascular Health. Prof. McEvoy is a 2004 first class honors graduate of UCC School of Medicine, Cork, Ireland. He undertook senior house officer and cardiology registrar training at the Mater University Hospital in Dublin, Ireland. In 2008, he joined the Osler Medical House staff at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. After internal medicine residency, he subsequently completed cardiology fellowship at Hopkins including advanced training in cardiac prevention, cardiac imaging, and cardiovascular epidemiology. Prior to returning to Ireland in 2018, Prof. McEvoy was an Assistant Professor on the cardiology faculty at Johns Hopkins for 3 years, with clinical roles in the cardiac intensive care unit and in the Ciccarone Primary and Secondary Cardiovascular Prevention Center. He maintains an adjunct appointment at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Prof. McEvoy's research focuses on testing novel biomarkers of risk and clinical epidemiology; with an emphasis on hypertension and atherosclerosis. His research has resulted in numerous peer-reviewed publications, grants and awards. Click on PubMed for a full list of peer-reviewed indexed publications. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland and has a clinical interest in the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. He was a member of the taskforce for the 2019 ACC/AHA Primary Prevention Guideline and is the co-Chair of the 2024 ESC guideline on Arterial Hypertension
DisclosuresDr. McEvoy reports no disclosures.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- 2023 Top Story in Cardiology: Hypertension Story of the Year—A Moment of Inertia
- Blood Pressure Level in Late Adolescence and the Risk for Cardiovascular Events
- Lipid Distributions in the Global Diagnostics Network
- Myocardial Injury Thresholds for Four hs-cTn Assays in Pediatric Patients
- Heterogeneity in Blood Pressure Response to Four Antihypertensive Drugs
- Effectiveness of Endovascular Ultrasound Renal Denervation to Treat Hypertension
- Association Between Achieved LDL-C Levels and Long-Term Cardiovascular and Safety Outcomes
- ACC 2023: Recommendations From Dr. J. William McEvoy
- Effect of Intensive Systolic Blood Pressure Control on hs-cTnT and NT-proBNP Levels
- 2022 Top Story in Cardiology: Hypertension Management by Protocolized Interdisciplinary Care