J. Curtis Nickel MD, FRCSCProfessor, Department of Urology, Queen’s University; Canada Research Chair in Urologic Pain and Inflammation; Staff Urologist, Kingston Health Sciences Centre, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Dr. Nickel’s clinical expertise and research covers inflammatory, infectious, pain and other benign diseases (eg benign prostatic hypeplasia) of the urinary tract. He is director of the urological chronic pain and urinary tract infection clinical research clinics in Kingston. He has over 600 publications, is on the editorial board of 6 Urology journals, editor of the AUA Update Series and Microbiome and Urologic Infections (Grand Rounds in Urology), presented in over 45 countries, funded by US NIH and Canadian CRC (CIHR). He was President of the Canadian Urological Association in 2017. He was awarded a CIHR Tier I Canada Research Chair (concurrent), AUA Distinguished Contribution Award and AUA Latimer Medal, SIU Academy Award, and was the first recipient of the SIU Mostafa Elhilali Award for contributions to International Urology Research.
Dr. Nickel reports disclosures as a consultant and from a scientific study/trial from Glaxo-Smith-Kline, Taris Biomedical, Pfizer, and Eli Lilly. He is a lecturer for Eli Lilly and Astellas, and has participated in scientific studies/trials for Johnson&Johnson and Aquinox. He is a consultant for Farr Labs, Astellas, Trillium Therapeutics, Auxillium, Ferring, and Tribute.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Repeat Electrofulguration Procedures in Women With Antibiotic-Refractory Recurrent UTIs
- Electrofulguration in the Management of Antibiotic-Refractory Recurrent UTIs in Women
- Continuous Low-Dose Antibiotic Prophylaxis to Prevent UTI in Adults Who Perform Clean Intermittent Catheterization
- Acupuncture for Chronic Prostatitis/Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome
- Utility of Catheterized Specimens in Reducing Over-Diagnosis of UTI in Women
- Treating Women With Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections With the Bacterial Vaccine Uromune
- Physical Therapy Improves Orchialgia and Pelvic Floor Pain
- Microsurgical Spermatic Cord Denervation as a Treatment for Chronic Scrotal Content Pain
- Antibiotic Coverage in Obstructive Pyelonephritis Secondary to Stones
- A Correlation Between Childhood LUTS and Adult UI