Ileana L. Piña MD, MPH, FAHA, FACCQuality Officer, Cardiovascular Line, Thomas Jefferson University/Sidney Kimmel College of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Clinical Professor of Medicine, Central Michigan University College of Medicine, Mount Pleasant, Michigan; Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology and Biostats, Population & Quantitative Health Sciences, Case Western University, Cleveland, Ohio; Senior Staff Fellow and Medical Officer, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, US Food and Drug Administration
Ileana L. Piña, MD, MPH, is Quality Officer for the Cardiovascular Line at Thomas Jefferson University/Sidney Kimmel College of Medicine in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She is Clinical Professor at Central Michigan University and Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology and Biostats, Population & Quantitative Health Sciences, at Case Western University. Dr. Piña also serves as Senior Fellow and Medical Officer to the Food and Drug Administrations’ Center for Devices and Radiological Health.
Dr. Piña earned her undergraduate degree in chemistry from the University of Miami in Florida. She completed her medical degree and cardiology fellowship at the University of Miami School of Medicine; an internal medicine residency at the University of South Florida Tampa, where she was Chief Resident; and fulfilled a surgery internship at the University of Miami Hospitals and Clinics. She earned a master's degree in public health from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio, while pursuing a VA Quality Fellowship. Dr. Piña’s research interests include transition of care in heart failure patients, and the role of natriuretic peptide–guided management for patients hospitalized for heart failure, biomarkers of myocardial stress and fibrosis in chronic heart failure, and heart failure differences by sex. She has been actively involved in gender, racial and ethnic issues in the health care delivery. She is the author/co-author of more than 250 publications. She is currently the Chair of the FIT committee of the AHA and on the Board of Directors National AHA. Dr. Piña is a Senior Staff Fellow and Medical Officer of the FDA, CDRH.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Trends in HF Hospitalizations Among Young Adults in the US: 2004–2018
- ACC 2022: Recommendations From Dr. Ileana Piña
- Experiences and Impact of Childbearing Among Women Cardiologists
- 2021 Top Story in Cardiology: EMPEROR-Preserved
- ESC 2021: Recommendations From Dr. Ileana Piña
- Individualized Nutritional Support for Hospitalized Patients With Chronic Heart Failure
- ACC 2021: Abstract Recommendations From Dr. Ileana Piña
- Left Ventricular Systolic Function Associated With Incident Heart Failure in Late Life
- Hemodynamic Effects of Sacubitril–Valsartan vs Enalapril in Patients With Heart Failure
- Effects of Exercise Training on Outcomes in Women With Heart Failure