George A. Kotsakis DDS, MSAssociate Professor, Department of Periodontics, UTHSCSA, San Antonio, Texas; Affiliate Associate Professor, Department of Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
Dr. Georgios Kotsakis is Associate Professor of Periodontics at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA), and Director of the ITI Implantology Scholarship Center. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology and also serves as graduate faculty in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at UTHSCSA and as Affiliate Associate Professor in Global Health at the School of Public Health at the University of Washington.
Dr. Kotsakis practices periodontics in the UTHSCSA intramural clinics and is involved in treating implant complications and peri-implantitis. Dr. Kotsakis received his DDS from the University of Athens, Greece, and, after graduation, he practiced in Athens for several years prior to coming to the US. He then completed his residency in periodontics and received his masters of science at the University of Minnesota when he first became involved in peri-implantitis research.
As a clinical researcher, he focuses on bone regeneration procedures in implant surgery and peri-implantitis therapy. In the lab, he conducts funded research across the spectrum of translational sciences from in vitro models to clinical trials. His current work is centered around identifying the biological mechanisms underlying peri-implant bone loss and developing novel treatments for dental and biomedical implants. He has published over 70 peer-reviewed articles and textbook chapters in high-impact journals, such as the Lancet, with more than 12,000 citations of his work. He is the recipient of multiple career and research awards from the American Academy of Periodontology, the Academy of Periodontology Foundation, and other organizations. He lectures frequently both nationally and internationally on implant surgical techniques, alveolar bone regeneration, and peri-implantitis therapy and he serves in the Editorial Review Boards of prestigious disciplinary and inter-disciplinary journals.
Dr. Kotsakis has received research support and honoraria from MIS implants Ltd, Dentsply Inc, Institut Straumann AG, Novabone LLC, Osteogenics Inc, StellaLife Inc, Water Pik Inc, Colgate-Palmolive and from the NIH.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- 2021 Top Story in Clinical Dentistry: Variation in Gingival Inflammation
- Screw-Retained Implant-Supported Restorations Can Be Done Successfully by Novice Practitioners
- Patient Satisfaction and Oral Health–Related Quality of Life 10 Years After Implant Placement
- The Impact of Minimally Invasive Restorative Techniques on Perception of Dental Pain Among Pregnant Women
- Patient-Reported Outcome Measures of Edentulous Patients Restored With Single-Implant Mandibular Overdentures
- 2020 Top Stories in Clinical Dentistry: Immune System Imbalance Is Behind Marginal Bone Loss Around Oral Implants
- Immune Imbalance Not Bacteria is the Driving Force Behind Peri-Implant Bone Loss
- Chlorhexidine Mouthwash Produced Significantly Less Plaque Than Chlorhexidine With an Anti-Discoloration System
- Adjuvant Use of an Oral Irrigator With 0.06% Chlorhexidine Reduces Peri-Implant Mucositis
- Mechanical Debridement in Combination With Oral Hygiene Instruction Is Effective in Treatment of Peri-Implant Mucositis