Donald A. Curtis DMD, FACPProfessor Emeritus, Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of California, San Francisco, CA
Dr. Don Curtis is Professor Emeritus in the Division of Prosthodontics at the University of California, San Francisco. His research interests include evaluating bone strain around dental implants during wound healing and how bone implant contact is influenced by strain. Dr. Curtis has over 90 publications in peer-reviewed journals, including Head and Neck, Bone, Medical Education, and numerous other basic science, medical, and prosthodontic journals. Recent publications have focused on maintenance issues related to dental implants. He was a recipient of the Distinguished Researcher Award from the American College of Prosthodontics in 2020 .
Dr. Curtis is also involved in professional development and how students accept feedback. He is involved nationally in organized dentistry as an authority on clinical decision-making in the use of dental implants and speaks on clinical topics nationally and internationally. He is past president of the Pacific Coast Society for Prosthodontics and the American Board of Prosthodontics. He is a fellow in the American College of Prosthodontics, a member of Omicron Kappa Upsilon (the National Dental Honor Society), the American Dental Association, and the California Dental Association, among other professional organizations. The American Academy of Periodontology selected an article published in March, 2020, of which Dr. Curtis was the second author, to receive the Clinical Research Award for 2021.
Dr. Curtis received his DMD in 1981 from the University of Oregon and certificates in prosthodontics from the University of Southern California (1983) and maxillofacial prosthodontics from UCLA (1985).
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- 2023 Top Story in Clinical Dentistry: Managing Patients With Endodontically Treated Teeth
- Periodontal Treatment Minimized the Rate of Tooth Loss for a Long Time in the Majority of Patients With Stage III/IV Periodontitis
- Nailing Your Personal Statement
- SPOTLIGHT ON Peri-Implantitis and Maintenance
- SPOTLIGHT ON Implants & Implant Restorations
- SPOTLIGHT ON Restorative and Prosthodontic Digital Workflow – Digital Dentistry
- Extra-Short Implants May Be as Effective as Regular-Length Implants Placed With Simultaneous Bone Grafting
- Efficacy of Professionally Administered Chemical Agents as an Adjunctive Treatment to Submarginal Instrumentation During Peri-Implant Mucositis Treatment
- 2022 Top Story in Clinical Dentistry: Topical Fluoride Effectiveness in Adults at High Risk for Caries
- Repair Versus Replacement of Defective Direct Restorations