Donald A. Curtis DMD, FACPProfessor, Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of California, San Francisco, CA
Dr. Don Curtis is a professor in the Division of Prosthodontics at the University of California, San Francisco. His research interests include evaluating bone strain around dental implants during wound healing and how bone implant contact is influenced by strain. Dr. Curtis has over 80 publications in peer-reviewed journals, including Head and Neck, Bone, Medical Education, and numerous other basic science, medical, and prosthodontic journals. Recent publications have focused on maintenance issues related to dental implants. He is also a recipient of the Distinguished Researcher Award from the American College of Prosthodontics.
Dr. Curtis is also involved in professional development and how students accept feedback. He is involved nationally in organized dentistry as an authority on clinical decision-making in the use of dental implants and speaks on clinical topics nationally and internationally. He is past president of the Pacific Coast Society for Prosthodontics and the American Board of Prosthodontics. He is a fellow in the American College of Prosthodontics, a member of Omicron Kappa Upsilon (the National Dental Honor Society), the American Dental Association, and the California Dental Association, among other professional organizations. The American Academy of Periodontology selected an article published in March, 2020, of which Dr. Curtis was the second author, to receive the Clinical Research Award for 2021.
Dr. Curtis received his DMD in 1981 from the University of Oregon and certificates in prosthodontics from the University of Southern California (1983) and maxillofacial prosthodontics from UCLA (1985).
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Repair Versus Replacement of Defective Direct Restorations
- Performance of Complete Dentures Fabricated With the Simplified and the Traditional Technique
- 2021 Top Story in Clinical Dentistry: The Implant Disease Risk Assessment Tool to Predict Risk of Peri-Implantitis
- Impact of Hyperglycemia on the Rate of Implant Failure and Peri-Implant Parameters
- 2020 Top Stories in Clinical Dentistry: Comprehensive Risk Assessment for Patients Being Evaluated for Dental Implants
- Thriving in the COVID-19 Era: Practical Aspects
- Thriving in the COVID-19 Era: Concepts
- Periodontal Health in Shortened Dental Arches
- MY APPROACH to Evaluating the Risk for Peri-Implantitis in Patients Seeking Dental Implants
- Four Implants to Support Overdentures Can Prevent Posterior Mandibular Bone Loss