Caroline Apovian MD, FACP, FACNProfessor of Medicine and Pediatrics, in the Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition at Boston University School of Medicine, Director of the Center for Nutrition and Weight Management at Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA
Caroline Apovian is Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics, in the Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition at Boston University School of Medicine, USA. She is also Director of the Center for Nutrition and Weight Management at Boston Medical Center, USA. Dr. Apovian is a nationally and internationally recognized authority on nutrition and has been in the field of obesity and nutrition since 1990. Her current research interests are in: weight loss and its effects on endothelial cell function, adipose cell metabolism and inflammation, research in the bariatric surgery population, and novel pharmacotherapeutic antiobesity agents. She is also an expert in the technique for subcutaneous adipose tissue biopsies, and has been performing these biopsies on research subjects for over 10 years. She was on the expert panel for updating the 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS Clinical Guidelines for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults.
Dr. Apovian was a recipient of the Physician Nutrition Specialist Award given by the American Society of Clinical Nutrition. This was for her work on developing and providing nutrition education, to medical students and physicians in training at Boston University School of Medicine. She has published over 200 articles, chapters, and reviews on the topics of: obesity, nutrition, and the relationship between adipose tissue and risk of developing cardiovascular disease. Dr. Apovian has recently published a new book entitled the “The Age-Defying Diet” and has also written the popular books for “The Overnight Diet” and “The ALLI Diet Plan”.
Dr. Apovian has been a member of The Obesity Society since 1992, and has served on the Clinical Committee as well as Secretary/Treasurer and the Executive Committee from 2005 to 2008. She has been a faculty speaker and has presented papers at several of the Society's Annual Scientific Meeting and until recently she served as Associate Editor for the Society's journal, Obesity.
- Dr. Apovian has participated on advisory boards for Amylin, Merck, Johnson and Johnson, Arena, Nutrisystem, Zafgen, Sanofi-Aventis, Orexigen, EnteroMedics, Scientific Intake, Gelesis and Novo Nordisk
- Dr. Apovian has received research funding from Lilly, Amylin, Aspire Bariatrics, GI Dynamics, Pfizer, Sanofi-Aventis, Orexigen, MetaProteomics, and the Dr. Robert C. and Veronica Atkins Foundation and MYOS Corporation.
- Dr. Apovian is currently on the Takeda Speakers Bureau for the medication Contrave.
- Dr. Apovian has an ownership interest in Science-Smart LLC.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Overweight in Childhood and Early Adulthood and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Obesity: Pathophysiology and Management
- Assessment of a Weight Control Program Tailored for Adults With Type 2 Diabetes
- Addition of Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass to Lifestyle Intervention and Medical Management Leads to Increased Achievement of Primary Treatment Goals for Uncontrolled Type 2 Diabetes in Mild to Moderate Obesity
- Low–Carbohydrate Diet Scores and Long-Term Risk for T2DM With History of Gestational Diabetes
- Healthy Life-Style Habits in Preschool Children
- Cardiometabolic Risks and Obesity in Children and Young Adults