Benjamin Morgan Scirica MDCardiologist and Director, Innovation, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women's Hospital; Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School; Senior Investigator, TIMI Study Group, Boston, Massachusetts
Dr. Benjamin Scirica graduated from Harvard Medical School and trained in internal medicine and cardiovascular medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts. He has a MPH health degree from Harvard School of Public Health. He is currently a Senior Investigator at the TIMI Study Group (an academic research organization based at Brigham and Women's Hospital that has performed over 70 clinical trials in atherosclerotic heart disease), an attending cardiologist and Director of Innovation at the cardiovascular division at Brigham and Women's Hospital, and an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School.
His research interests center on the risk stratification, management, and CV risk reduction of patients with acute coronary syndromes and cardiometabolic disorders. He is the Director of the TIMI ECG Core Laboratory, which has analyzed over 20,000 continuous and static ECGs from multiple trials in acute coronary syndromes, including the ExTRACT-TIMI 25, CLARITY-TIMI 28, DISPERSE-2, PLATO, and MERLIN-TIMI 36 trials. He was principal investigator or co-investigator of the MERLIN-TIMI 36, AVANT GARDE-TIMI 43, TRA 2Pº-TIMI 50, SAVOR-TIMI 53, and CAMELLIA-TIMI 58 trials.
Dr. Scirica has authored or co-authored over 150 peer-reviewed articles, serves on the editorial board of ACCEL, and is a reviewer for multiple journals, including New England Journal, JAMA, The Lancet, Circulation, and Journal of the American College of Cardiology (JACC). He attend in the cardiac intensive care unit at Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Attending Cardiologist and Director, Innovation, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women's Hospital; Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School; Senior Investigator, TIMI Study Group, Boston, Massachusetts
MD: Harvard Medical School
MPH: Harvard School of Public Health
Fellowship (internal medicine and cardiovascular medicine): Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
Research Interests:Identification and application of novel cardiac biomarkers and electrocardiographic techniques
Dr. Scirica reports institutional research grants to Brigham and Women’s Hospital from AstraZeneca, Eisai, Merck, Novartis, NovoNordisk, and Pfizer. Consulting fees from AbbVie, Allergan, AstraZeneca, Boehringer Ingelheim, Eisai, Elsevier Practice Update Cardiology, Esperion, Hamni, Lexicon, Medtronic, Merck, NovoNordisk, and equity in Health [at] Scale.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Design and Baseline Characteristics of the AMPLITUDE-O Cardiovascular Outcomes Trial of Efpeglenatide
- Clinical Implications of New Data on SGLT1/2 Inhibition
- ADAPTABLE: 81 mg vs 325 mg of Aspirin for Secondary Prevention
- Interventions to Improve Community Outcomes in Heart Failure
- Cardiovascular Outcomes With Finerenone in Patients With CKD and Diabetes
- ACC 2021: Abstract Recommendations From Dr. Ben Scirica
- Association of PDE5 Inhibitors vs Alprostadil With Survival in Men With Coronary Artery Disease
- Association Between LDL and All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality
- SGLT2 Inhibitors in Patients With Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction
- Effect of Dapagliflozin on LV Hypertrophy in Type 2 Diabetes