Alexander CJ van Akkooi MD, PhDMelanoma and Soft Tissue Sarcoma Surgeon, Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dr. Alexander van Akkooi is a board-certified surgical oncologist specializing in melanoma and sarcoma and practicing at the Netherlands Cancer Institute – Antoni van Leeuwenhoek (NCI-AVL) in Amsterdam. Dr van Akkooi is the current chairman of the EORTC (European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer) Melanoma Group. He is the head of the NCI-AVL Skin Cancer and Melanoma Unit. Dr van Akkooi has published over 150 peer-reviewed papers in high-impact journals, including NEJM, Lancet, Lancet Oncology, Cell, Nature Medicine, among others, and has presented at numerous international meetings. He is a member of the European Society for Medical Oncology, Society for Melanoma Research, and American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. van Akkooi was awarded his medical degree from Erasmus University in Rotterdam. He was a resident in general surgery at Maasstad Ziekenhuis in Rotterdam, and underwent residency training in surgical oncology at NCI-AVL and Erasmus MC Cancer Institute. His PhD was awarded cum laude from Erasmus University.
Dr. van Akkooi is on the Advisory Board of & has received Consultancy Honoraria from Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Novartis, MSD-Merck, Merck-Pfizer, Sanofi, 4SC. He also reports Research Grants from Amgen, Novartis, Merck-Pfizer which were all paid to NCI-AVL.
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Optimizing the Approach to Adjuvant Therapy for Resected Melanoma
- Detecting Recurrence Early in Resected Stage III Melanoma
- Key Takeaways From ESMO: Updates in Targeted Therapy for Melanoma
- Efficacy of T-VEC in Early Metastatic Melanoma
- ESMO 2020: Recommendations From Dr. Alex van Akkooi for Melanoma
- 5-Year Analysis of Adjuvant Dabrafenib/Trametinib in Stage III Melanoma
- Design and Testing of a Custom Melanoma NGS Panel for Analysis of ctDNA
- Prognostic Gene-Expression Profiling in Cutaneous Melanoma
- Frontline BRAF Testing–Guided Treatment for Advanced Melanoma in the Era of Immunotherapies
- Clinical and Prognostic Value of Tumor Volumetric Parameters in Melanoma Patients Undergoing 18F-FDG PET/CT