Alan W. Partin MD, PhDDirector, Department of Urology, Brady Urological Institute; The Jakurski Family Director and Professor, Urologist-in-Chief, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland
Alan W. Partin, MD, PhD, is the author or co-author of more than 600 scientific articles, serves on numerous editorial boards, served as editor-in-chief of Urology (1997–2007), and is currently an editor of the Campbell-Walsh-Wein urology text. He has been honored with many awards, including the Hopkins Young Investigators Award, the Pfizer Scholars in Urology award, and the Gold Cystoscope award. In 2004, Dr. Partin was named Director of the Department of Urology at the Brady Urological Institute and, in 2005, Urologist-in-Chief of the Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Dr. Partin is an expert in assessing prognosis and making predictions for men with prostate cancer. Dr. Partin’s laboratories and clinical and surgical interests focus on developing and testing new and existing methods for predicting the aggressiveness of prostate cancers so that rational treatment decisions can be made by both patients and physicians.
Dr. Partin received his undergraduate degree in chemistry from the University of Mississippi, where he was an Academic All-American football player. He received his medical degree and his PhD in pharmacology and molecular sciences from Johns Hopkins University, where he continued his post-doctoral training.
Director, Department of Urology, Brady Urological Institute; Urologist-in-Chief, Johns Hopkins Hospital
PhD (pharmacology and molecular sciences): Johns Hopkins University
MD: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Developing and testing methods for predicting the aggressiveness of prostate cancers
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- 2019 Top Stories in Urology: Apalutamide for Metastatic Castration-Sensitive Prostate Cancer
- AUA 2019: Dr. Alan Partin's Session Recommendations for Prostate Cancer
- 2018 Top Stories in Urology: Apalutamide Improves Survival in Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- AUA 2018: Dr. Alan Partin's Session Recommendations for Prostate Cancer
- 2017 Top Stories in Urology: STAMPEDE
- AUA 2017: Dr. Alan Partin's Session Recommendations
- 2016 Top Stories in Urology: Prostate Cancer Screening
- AUA 2016: Dr. Alan Partin's Key Take-Aways
- AUA 2016: Dr. Alan Partin's Session Recommendations
- 2015 Top Stories in Urology: All Things Being Equal, Long-Term Outcomes With Robotic Radical Prostatectomy Hold Up to Those With Open Surgery