- Professor, Medical Oncology, University of Nantes (France) and Integrated Centers of Oncology ICO Rene Gauducheau Cancer Nantes (France)
Dr. Jean-Yves Douillard received his medical training at the University of Nantes Medical School in Nantes, France. During his training, he developed an interest in tumor immunology and obtained a fellowship from the French Ministry of Health and the US National Institutes of Health John E. Fogarty International Center for Advanced Study in the Health Sciences. He spent 2 years as a visiting fellow at the National Cancer Institute’s Laboratory of Immunodiagnosis, where he was involved in the production and characterization of monoclonal antibodies against natural killer cells. Dr. Douillard returned to France in 1981 and became an Assistant Professor in Medical Oncology at the University of Nantes, where he specialized in lung cancer, gastrointestinal oncology, and biologic therapies, including the use of monoclonal antibodies in human tumors. He later worked for 2 years as a visiting scientist at the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, where he was involved in monoclonal antibody therapy. Dr. Douillard received his PhD in 1993.
Dr. Douillard has participated in clinical trials mostly for lung cancer and GI tumors, and has investigated numerous new drugs, including vinorelbine, irinotecan, docetaxel, paclitaxel, and gemcitabine. He also has investigated targeted therapies such as gefitinib, erlotinib, farnesyltransferase inhibitors, Raf kinases inhibitors, antiangiogenic molecules, and monoclonal antibodies.
Dr. Douillard has published numerous articles in various scientific journals, including The Lancet, The New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of Clinical Oncology, The Lancet Oncology, British Journal of Cancer, Cancer Research, European Journal of Cancer, Annals of Oncology, and the Journal of Thoracic Oncology. He was a member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Clinical Oncology and Bulletin du Cancer. He currently serves on the editorial board of Hybridoma and is the International Editor of Clinical Colorectal Cancer. Dr. Douillard is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO), International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC), American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), and Intergroupe Francophone de Cancérologie Thoracique (IFCT).
Professor, Medical Oncology, University of Nantes (France); Director of Clinical and Translational Research, Rene Gauducheau Cancer Center Nantes (France)
University of Nantes, France, MD
University of Nantes, France, PhD
Resident, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nantes, France
Fellow, French Ministry of Health and US National Institutes of Health John E. Fogarty
International Center for Advanced Study in the Health Sciences
Lung cancer, gastrointestinal cancer, monoclonal antibody therapy
Recent Contributions to PracticeUpdate:
- Progress in NSCLC Molecular Characterization for Personalized Medicine
- Genotyping cfDNA for Tumor Alterations
- Noninvasive Detection of Response/Resistance in EGFR-Mutant Lung Cancer Using Cell-Free Plasma DNA
- 2013 Top Stories in Oncology: Lung Cancer
- Frequently Asked Questions in Oncology: Lung Cancer
- PointBreak: A Randomized Phase III Study of Pemetrexed Plus Carboplatin and Bevacizumab Followed by Maintenance Pemetrexed and Bevacizumab Versus Paclitaxel Plus Carboplatin and Bevacizumab Followed by Maintenance Bevacizumab in Patients With Stage IIIB or IV Nonsquamous Non–Small-Cell Lung Cancer
- Take-Home Messages in Lung Cancer From the 2013 European Cancer Congress
- Biomarkers Begin the Breakthrough in Non–Small Cell Cancer
- Significant Survival Benefit Conferred With Doublet Chemotherapy in Advanced NSCLC and ECOG PS 2
- Amgen Further Narrows Patient Population for Its EGFR Inhibitor in Colon Cancer
Our Advisory and Editorial Boards are comprised of physician editors and world-renowned experts.